SQL Licensing Standard vs Enterprise

• We're in the process of moving content from a SQL Server cluster to VMs (ESX cluster with 2 nodes). Our SQL cluster has 24 CPU's (2 nodes). I've been told the ESX CPU's are much more powerful than the SQL Cluster, so we can expect to reduce that number for the new environment.

We want to use SQL Server Standard, not Enterprise. My question is SQL Server licensing fees. My expectation we were going to reduce our fees (less CPU's and no Enterprise - actually Microsoft has its' focus on cores, whatever).

My boss is pushing SQL Enterprise. He talked with MSFT who told him: "when taking into account cost sharing delivered by virtualization (over-provisioning of physical cores to virtual processors) customers can achieve up to 3x cost savings while consolidating SQL deployments onto an enterprise cluster. Also using SQL Enterprise, you can deploy unlimited number of VMs running on a licensed ESX host".With SQL Server installed (2012 and up) on the host, each CPU (or core) would be billable, regardless of standard or enterprise edition. And if you use Enterprise and create as many VMs as you want you save up to 3x the money? Seems to me unlimited VMs is the only cost saving. And you do get additional features of Enterprise.

Any thoughts on this? Comments are appreciated.

• bobba - Friday, May 26, 2017 7:54 AM

(over-provisioning of physical cores to virtual processors) .

There's easier ways to cripple server performance, if that's your goal. If not, then rethinking this might be a good idea.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I'm not sure you can upgrade those SQL 2012 Standard to 2012 Enterprise. If you can, I'd be interested to know. You can upgrade to SQL 2016 Enterprise, though you get almost all the same features with SQL 2016 S as E now.

I tend to agree with Gail. A SQL VM is not like a file server VM or many other VMs, overprovisioning will cause performance issues. If the SQL instances are less used, then I'd look at consolidation over more VMs on the same host.

If you really care about cost, with no regard for performance, which is fine, then move, but consider how much you'd really save. You're going to have to license all the cores on all the hosts with EXS. I assume you have more than one physical host. The cost of EE may overwhelm any savings you think you get.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply