SQL full backup failed

• I get this error when I attempt to backup all dbs in an Instance using sp usp_FullBackupAllDB

Msg 3201, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

Cannot open backup device 'J:\J_SQLBACKUP_5\Backup_INST5\GlobalXXXXXXX \DailyFull\GlobalXXXXXX _2011_06_07.BAK'. Operating system error 3(The system cannot find the path specified.).

Msg 3013, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

BACKUP DATABASE is terminating abnormally.

1 db failed

but remaining Databases like master, model are backed up.

and when i did manually

backup database databasename to disk=''J:\J_SQLBACKUP_5\Backup_INST5\GlobalXXXXXXX \DailyFull\GlobalXXXXXX _2011_06_07.BAK'

it worked well.

Any suggestions please...

• Same folder? Running under the same credentials?

• yes

• Looks like you have a space at the end of the database name. This is causing a problem when trying to access the folder location because you cannot have a space at the end of a folder in Windows.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• Did you consider using Jobs instead of stored procedures for your backups? You can easily create jobs using SQL Management Studio interface.

There are also third party tools available to do these tasks. I use SQL Backup and FTP[/url]

• AlexGreen (6/17/2011)

Did you consider using Jobs instead of stored procedures for your backups? You can easily create jobs using SQL Management Studio interface.

There are also third party tools available to do these tasks. I use SQL Backup and FTP[/url]

I don't see how this would change/fix the issue with a space in the database name. The fix for this is to do one of the following:

1) Fix the database name by removing the space

2) Fix the code by trimming the database name so there are no spaces at the end

Either will fix the problem - regardless of where the code sits (Job, stored procedure, generated from maintenance plan, etc...)

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• Jeffrey Williams-493691 (6/17/2011)

AlexGreen (6/17/2011)

Did you consider using Jobs instead of stored procedures for your backups? You can easily create jobs using SQL Management Studio interface.

I don't see how this would change/fix the issue with a space in the database name.

Very simple, by using a GUI tool you not only fix the problem, but also prevent other typing errors. 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply