SQL Developer licensing

• Andrew Collins (1/25/2012)

it will initially be used as a development BI reporting accessing data from live, when dev is complete we will change to enterprise

Andrew,

I hate to break it to you, but there is no good excuse you can give Microsoft for using live data in report development. You can, as I suggested earlier, pull down backups on a daily basis to a Dev server and develop on that. That would be acceptable. But using live data for development? That's not even a good idea, let alone a justification for using Dev edition with production servers.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• SQLKnowItAll (1/25/2012)

Brandie Tarvin (1/25/2012)

mean that replication is an acceptable DRS.

For my own understanding... I assume you mean database DR, as I can see this being an acceptable solution for site outage; i.e. One site in Chicago replicates to New York where Chicago is publisher. Bad storm causes some type of outage where traffic for application is now automatically routed from Chicago to New York. Would you consider this to be a poor solution?

Yes. Absolutely. Without a doubt.

Edit: To clarify my answer, it is a poor solution and the reasons why can be discussed on threads opened for that purpose.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• a backup and restore wouldnt work as the BI cubes need updating regularly and the database is 500gb, so would take too long to backup copy and restore.

for the code and processes required the developers have requested a linked server, replication will most likely be used in the future.

• Brandie Tarvin (1/25/2012)

Andrew Collins (1/25/2012)

it will initially be used as a development BI reporting accessing data from live, when dev is complete we will change to enterprise

Andrew,

I hate to break it to you, but there is no good excuse you can give Microsoft for using live data in report development. You can, as I suggested earlier, pull down backups on a daily basis to a Dev server and develop on that. That would be acceptable. But using live data for development? That's not even a good idea, let alone a justification for using Dev edition with production servers.

I was specifically told by Microsoft that report development can be done on a development server reading from production data as long as the reports were deployed to a licensed reporting server; i.e. reports are developed using live data, but not deployed. The reasoning from Microsoft is that the database server is already licensed for data access. So anything can access that data. When the reports are being developed, they can be developed using that data as long as nobody accesses or uses those reports for business decisions before they are deployed to the licensed report server. Of course, I have been told 2 different things from 2 different people at Microsoft about licensing issues on different occasions. :w00t:

Jared
    CE - Microsoft

• Brandie Tarvin (1/25/2012)

Huh?

The Developer license is about the usage, not the source of the data. Doesn't matter what the data is, as long as the usage is development only (and once license per developer)

Using live data for development's not a good idea (data privacy, confidentiality, security, etc), but not because of licensing.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I would concur with Jared and Gail here. The licenses seem to read, to me, that you cannot use other systems for analysis or reporting of live data, but if you use things for development, then you are OK.

As long as developers were accessing data only, I think you are fine. However, I would still clarify with MS on this.

• GilaMonster (1/25/2012)

Brandie Tarvin (1/25/2012)

Huh?

The Developer license is about the usage, not the source of the data. Doesn't matter what the data is, as long as the usage is development only (and once license per developer)

Using live data for development's not a good idea (data privacy, confidentiality, security, etc), but not because of licensing.

The way I read the statement about BI and Reporting was that this was a production box that would be writing ad hoc reports that would be handed out to the users. If I was wrong on that interpretation, then I was wrong and I apologize.

Andrew, if Microsoft said you could use the data this way, why even post the thread to begin with?

• I have not said microsoft have told me i could use the data this way.

The reason i started this thread was beacuse i wanted to find out if it was allowed

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (1/25/2012)

. . . As long as developers were accessing data only, I think you are fine. However, I would still clarify with MS on this.

Steve

As I follow the discussion, I think it would be good if you asked MSFT for their clarification on behalf of SSC, and posted it for future reference.

However, since 2012 is coming out and so far as I know license terms were not published, it would be even better if we could get those, too.

• Andrew Collins (1/25/2012)

I have not said microsoft have told me i could use the data this way.

The reason i started this thread was beacuse i wanted to find out if it was allowed

Sorry, Andrew. I misread Jared's post as yours.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply