SQL Database relocating

• I am currently running SQL 2000 and would like to move some of the databases located on the existing server to the new SQL 2005 server.

The new server is in place and has SQL 2005 installed.  Can I simply create a backup of the databases I'd like to move on the old server, create a database with the same name on the new server and restore the backed up databases?  If not, what would be the best way to migrate from SQL 2000 to SQL 2005?  I realize this is a rather general question, but I am an SQL newbie and would appreciate the advice.

Thanks,

Tom

• I will agree on the backup and restore. Is the easiest way and more secure. One thing you need to be aware, the users might not be migrated. there is a way to move users from one server to another. I don't rememebr where exactly the store proc is, but you can search google or microsoft using "RevLogin" the procedure gets all the users and their SQL Server ID;s as well as passwords. Othet that, you can use Migrate users with DTS. I never used it though. I used RevLogin quite a lot a couple of years back and it never failed.

There is another way and it is detaching the databases you are going to move. As soon as you detach, you can make a copy of the files (mdf and ldf), then reatch the databases to the original server. After this is done, with the copies of the files you can place them in the same directory they were in the orignal server (be aware of the location!, b y recreating the same folder where your files are) and do the same as you did in the original server Attach the files. Either way you choose make a backup just in case you have to go back to the way everything was before you started.

I hope this helps.  Good luck!

• I did restore from the back at sqlserver20005.

I tried another way also attach and detach database(with move option).In sqlserver2005 show how it upgrades database of sqlserver2000 to sqlsever2005.

It also shows a list how LSN number changes in SQLserver2005 in an upgrade.

So to learn the process do both the ways.

from

Killer

• I'm at a loss to explain why no-one suggested you use the copy database wizard. It'll migrate the users as well.

• Thank you all for your help.  I will look into these methods more closely and familiarize myself with the procedures.  If you have anymore suggestions or know of anything I should be aware of, please send me a message.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply