SQL CMD

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item SQL CMD

• Very good question.Thanks.

M&M

• Nice question, learned something today. Thanks.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Another QOD, another new thing learned - thanks!

And a nice reminder that I really must sit down one day and find out what all the other buttons and menu options on SSMS actually do.

Duncan

• I am sorry but the question is flawed , the correct command is in fact "!!DIR" with a double exclamation mark and not a single one "!DIR" like the QoD states, as a result I answered NO .Please review questions before posting

• Good Question..

The Above Question Answer is..

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms174187(v=SQL.100).aspx

Thanks...

Chirag Makwana.

• Cedric-295411 (2/8/2011)

I am sorry but the question is flawed , the correct command is in fact "!!DIR" with a double exclamation mark and not a single one "!DIR" like the QoD states, as a result I answered NO .Please review questions before posting

The actual question "Can you execute SQLCMD statements using SSMS SQL Server 2008?" can be answered without looking at the example.

Would you have anwered the question correctly without the example?

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• That rather depends on whether he thought it was one of the typically arsey trick questions...

Perhaps a rule of thumb is to only use 1 question mark per question?

• Easy question today.

• Koen (da-zero) (2/8/2011)

Cedric-295411 (2/8/2011)

I am sorry but the question is flawed , the correct command is in fact "!!DIR" with a double exclamation mark and not a single one "!DIR" like the QoD states, as a result I answered NO .Please review questions before posting

The actual question "Can you execute SQLCMD statements using SSMS SQL Server 2008?" can be answered without looking at the example.

Would you have anwered the question correctly without the example?

It depends on which question you consider the actual question. The answer is yes to the first question and no to the second.

• RichB (2/8/2011)

That rather depends on whether he thought it was one of the typically arsey trick questions...

Perhaps a rule of thumb is to only use 1 question mark per question?

I doubt that Steve was intentionally trying to trick anyone. I looked at the second question and viewwed that as a typing error.

• I also thought that !DIR is just a typo and answered correctly.

But why 2008? It works fine in 2005 as well.

--Vadim R.

• !Dir does not work, it has to be !!Dir

Thomas LeBlanc, MVP Data Platform Consultant

• I agree with Thomas, !DIR does not work, it has to be !!DIR. I am sure it is Typo.

• Cedric-295411 (2/8/2011)

Apologies for the typo, which has been corrected, but it says "things like "!DIR", not that command specifically. It asks about specific SQLCMD functions, and do answer "no" saying that this isn't a valid command appears to be completely misreading the question.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply