SQL Clustering

• Hi Experts,
    I am new to Clustering
    I have two nodes A and B.The host is Node A . What i do not understand is if go to Node B i can see the SQL Server service is off but i can connect to databases  on host A while the sevice is off.How does this work?Is this Active/Active or Active /Passive? Kindly Help me to understand please, i want to patch this cluster soon.

God bless!

T.

• You are connecting to Virtual IP Address (VIP) that was specified during cluster installation. The Windows Server Failover Clustering take care of pointing this IP to active node, in your case to node A, after failover VIP will be set to node B.

• tmmutsetse - Thursday, May 3, 2018 6:58 AM

Hi Experts,
    I am new to Clustering
    I have two nodes A and B.The host is Node A . What i do not understand is if go to Node B i can see the SQL Server service is off but i can connect to databases  on host A while the sevice is off.How does this work?Is this Active/Active or Active /Passive? Kindly Help me to understand please, i want to patch this cluster soon.

God bless!

T.

please read my stairway to always on at this link

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/stairway/112556/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Read Perry's stairway, which will help you understand. The cluster presents itself as a virtual IP and name, in addition to the IP and name that each node has.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply