SQL Cluster and Pervasive Client

• We have a clustered SQL 2005 server, which will be used for data consolidation.

One of the data sources is Pervasive (8.7), which is running on another server in our network. I would like to install a Pervasive client on the SQL server to connect to the Pervasive server and import the data.

I have heard there are problems having a Pervasive database engine on the same server as an SQL server, but would there be any issues having a Pervasive client installed in order to connect to the other server?

Is there anything we should be aware of?

Thx for any info..

• You don't need another datbase engine. You should be able to do this through linked servers, it's just a matter of having the right provider.

Try creating a SystemDSN (ODBC connection) on the cluster to the pervasive DB, create a linked server referring the SystemDNS - see

OLE DB Provider for ODBC (Database Engine) in BOL.

• Problem is though, I cant create a system DSN as there are no Pervasive drivers, ODBC components available on the SQL server. They are all embedded in the pervasive client. I cant extract them and just run an install for the ODBC drivers

The client surely will just communicate with the Pervasive server on the network and not cause an issue with the clustered service? Or have I completely got the wrong end of the stick?

• Call pervasive, there are odbc drivers available.

Clustering the pervasive client is a more complex operation.

• You can install the Pervasive client on a SQL database server.  We did it on Windows 2000 with SQL 2000 and installed a Pervasive 2000 client and it was fine.  Can't recall if there is an option to only install ODBC or OLE DB drivers, but if that's all you need try installing only those.  Also, DTS and linked servers worked fine.

• Spoke to Pervasive, they say there are no ODBC drivers available which are seperate from the client\workgroup install.

So back to my original, question, if a client was installed on all of the nodes in the cluster, would there be an issue?

Thx

• We only installed the client on a regular server, not a cluster, but had no problems with SQL Server and Pervasive.  I don't know how Pervasive will affect Clustering--if at all.  Did you ask Pervasive if their product is cluster-aware?  Or if they know of any issues, etc.?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply