SQL Career Advice Needed

• I have 3 years of VBA/Access experience. I am looking to take a step up professionally and pursue a job opportunity using SQL Server in the hope of someday becoming a DBA. I decided to begin my endeavor (2 months ago)by preparing for 70-228 and 70-229, passing both. Currently, I have imported an Access DB I use at work into SQL Server to practice with. I'm am trying to give myself "hands on" experience. I will also be assisting my Net. Admin. at work with an NT to 2000 upgrade and setting up a Win 2000 server from scratch in the next month. I don't really see any JR. SQL admin positions posted anymore, and hope to sneak in somewhere as a Report Writer (Crystal) or as a mid-level VB programmer. Am I realistic. Should I try to finish up the MCDBA. Would any of you DBA's give me a job if I applied at your place (hypothetically)? I would like to know what seasoned professionals feel I could do to increase my odds of success in my endeavor of becoming a bona fide DBA.

Edited by - frankbuzz on 12/05/2002 5:01:14 PM

Edited by - frankbuzz on 12/05/2002 5:03:09 PM

• So far I have not seen any jobs requesting an MCDBA without experience. I made myself a position during our Y2K roleover is how I got my foot into the door. I basically was a correspondence clerk (fancy for mail sorter) before the opportunity reared its head. I had an Acces DB that was sluggish and not very well put together so I rewrote it and presented to my boss for all to use. As others found out I had a clue about VBA they came to me for help on a problem management DB for the role over they were working on. As things progressed they realized we wanted to present the data via the web and combine with 2 other Problem management DBs in the corporation. I saw my opportunity and came to them with the idea of replicating the Access database to a master Access DB then using SQL attach to it and pull the data in. Then go to the other two (SYBase and Oracle) and request key fields and match in with the other data from Access. Then the web group could pull the information and display as management wanted. The project manager thought I was nuts but with an Access background could see it was feasible and decided to let me build a demonstration of this in SQL. I did and the rest for me is history. The best thing is look for an opportunity and present a case for using SQL for a job to get the experience and just keep looking for a SQL position or programming position where you will have more opportunities to work with SQL Server.

• Tough call. Guess it would depend on the salary requirements! The VBA experience is a great start, taking the exams will definitely get you going. I think you're on the right track by trying to get involved in network stuff, and the plan to try to move to a reporting/developing position is good too.

Andy

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/awarren/

• Nothing beats experience. But how do you get it if you don't have it? Most likely by easing into it from the side. You will need some skill (programming, most likely) to find a job. From there, get to know your DBAs, volunteer for the grunt tasks, and generally take anything DB related with a smile. Once you have something resume-worthy try job hopping again.

• Thanks to all for the feedback. I'm currently investigating 70-019. If I think I can handle the material, I will probably take that test and 70-215 and get my MCDBA in the next 3-4 months. I'm hoping to catch HR's eye. I don't have a 4 year degree (2 yr. degree and comp. tech. School), so I hope this will help be more competitive on paper. At the very least, I feel that I'm getting a very interesting overview of SQL Server.

• Here we require the MCDBA (course, I don't have mine yet, ). But we wouldnt' hire you on that cert. Experience is the biggest factor. If you want to get into this field, at least with me, I'd look for a personality fit and a hard worker and bring you in as a junior DBA, let you learn and earn your way up. That's the route I took and I'd bring someone along in. If you're willing to show you want to learn and get experience, I think that will go further than the cert. Cert shows this a little, but isn't enough.

Steve Jones

sjones@sqlservercentral.com

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/sjones

• Thank for the response Steve, but I'm a little confused. Are you saying that you wouldn't hire me for a junior position on the cert alone, or that you wouldn't on the cert and the experience I reference in my initial post.

• I would hire you with or without the cert as a junior. Doesn't mean much to me, though it does show some initiative.

Steve Jones

sjones@sqlservercentral.com

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/sjones

• Understood. Thanks again.

• I think the certification demosntrates motivation and certainly doesn't hurt. Experience will be very important. I think the suggestion of getting one's foot in the door, getting to know the DBA, and then volunteering to do grunt work is a good suggestion. It may be that your DBA is more than ready to hand off some of those tasks. Ask to observe during major week-end, after-hours projects. Be sure and keep your manager appraised of your efforts and document what you do.

Your applications background should help you get in the door. I got my start almost seven years ago when I was hired primarily as an applications person, but needed to learn how to administer our Sybase 4.9.2 databases, because there was no dedicated DBA! I have been employed specifically as a DBA for the last four years (the last three working with SQL Server).

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply