--

SET

@AlertDir = ' >> \\BEPSQL01\SQLG\TNGLog\Alerts.txt'

SET

@ServerName = @@ServerName

SET

@FailureDate = (select getdate())

SET

@Error = @ServerName + ' - ' + @JobName + ' ' + @alert + ' on ' + @FailureDate + @AlertDir

SET

@cmd = 'echo ' + @error

--

EXEC

master.dbo.xp_cmdshell @cmd

This script was created to send alerts via email and txt message when a particular job on a server fails.

I am planning to create a DTS package to display the list of sevrers in a csv file where the agent is running and also where the agent is not running. I have to figure out a way, if the SQL agent is not running the an alert needs to be sent via email and txt message. Can anyone pls assist me on this?

The following script that I a using will be used in the DTS package to display whether the service is running.

create proc sp__SQLAgent

As

select @@Servername as ServerName,Program_name,

Case when program_name = 'SQLAgent - Generic Refresher'

then 'SQL Agent Running'

else 'SQL Agent Not running'

end as Process

from sysprocesses where program_name Like '%Ref%'

Regards

• What to do about SQL Error Reporting when the agent or SQL Server is down?

I tried a number of ways to solve this and found a third party product that will monitor not only the SQL Server status but the SQL Server Agent and network as well. 

It is IPMonitor Version 8 and I think you can about $1000.  Even better you can download a 21 day trial for free.  http://www.ipmonitor.com/

This product monitors my disk space, network, SQL Server, SQL Server Agent and can even run a query into my database to make sure that everything is running.   When it encounters a problem, the IPMonitor software sends me an email.   For the initial price we are monitoring 30+ machines on several points. 

My 2 cents

Eric

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply