SQL 2008 sneak peek exam info

• All,

Notes on the webcast... The 2005 70-431 exam will be split into two different exams for SQL 2008, 1 for Admin, 1 for Developers.

New Exams are part of 2008 certs. Details below...

70-432: TS: SQL Server 2008, Implementation & Maintenance is the second one. BTW, they're looking at Beta in June and Live in August 2008.

Which is right as SQL 2008 is scheduled to go RTM.

70-433: TS: SQL Server 2008, Database Development (not completed) ETA Beta in July & Live in September 2008

70-448 is a counterpart to 70-445. Estimated same dates as 70-432.

We might be able to do 1 exam upgrades for all the SQL 2008 certs. They're talking about an easy path from 2005 to 2008, but there is NO direct way to go from SQL 2000 MCDBA to SQL 2008 MCITP.

SQL 2005 certs will supposedly NEVER expire. The quote is "Your 2005 certifications will hold value for as long as organizations seek those skills". MCDBAs can be finished through March 2009 (when the exams will be retired). This cert will not expire, but they don't recommend you begin MCDBA today.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• I enjoy the irony of releasing a certification test before the actual final product release date.

Microsoft needs to spend more time getting products done and working properly instead of making offers on Google.

Here's to SQL 2009

• Thanks for posting this Brandie, I didn't check my email for the reminder until after it finished.

Is the information you provided pretty much everything, or is it still worth listening to the recording / checking the blog link you posted?

• Thanks for the info. I forgot all about the meeting.

Does anyone know how to get in on the beta exams?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Beta exams are invite only, as I understand. However, if you get a specific Microsoft e-newsletter, you can see where they make these announcements (and that is a sort of invite).

I wrote this post while I was in the middle of the meeting. There was more information, most of it clarification on the stuff I wrote, and some interesting questions. Some of you might find it worth it. Others might not. I'm going to attach the PDF slide show to this thread for your perusual and if that doesn't answer your questions, you might consider going to the blog for more details.

The presentation itself felt a little stiff & last minute. There were a few mistakes on the slides (MCPD for one should be MCITP: Developer) and the Architect speaker had phone trouble so we couldn't understand half of what she was saying. Not to mention that one of the presenters was being terribly rude and typing lots of stuff during the call. Whether he was answering Live Meeting questions or answering his email is beside the point. He should have muted his phone so we could hear the current presenter without all the keyboard action in the background.

Other than that, though, they talked about the various stages of completion for the exams (some are still in design, some have gotten out of design and are now in development, etc) plus the whole "Retired / Expired" debate. Most of the presenters reiterated items that have been true for the certification process for years. There is very little change in the technical details. However, they did mention that study guides would be available in the next month or two for the new exams.

The confusing part is that they don't appear to be changing any numbers for the 2008 exams. For instance, in the old days you would have the 60-332 for a previous version of the OS and a 61-332 for the newest version of the OS. In the SQL 2008 exams, they're still giving the 70- prefix, which makes me wonder if someone who isn't MCITP or MCTS certified in 2005 will still be able to certify in both versions of SQL by taking the same sets of exams.

Anyway, I hope this rambling helps you out. @=) PDF slideshow is attached to this post.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply