SQL 2005 DBmail via SMTP server

• Just because the server name is correct in the C# code, doesn't mean it's correct in the T-SQL Code. That's why you were asked to check it.

As far as everything else, I have no experience with mailtrust.com. That's why I advise you to contact them. Usually third party vendors run into security issues enough that they have their own support forums and documented tech articles covering the common stuff.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• could be you cannot resolve the hostname have you tried using the IP address

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• You can also try pinging that server, and trace route to see where that fails?

thanks

Sagar

• I have the same problem and it is the hostname not being fully qualified. This SQL server does not belong to a domain but does have primary DNS Suffix which doesn't make a difference to DBmail. So the question is how to change the hostname or make DBmail send the fully qualified name?

• in the profile, specify a fully qualified smtp server name

what we did was years ago when we started changing the email system around we created an alias that points to the smtp server and told people to use it instead of the real server name. this way we can change the email server all we want and people's apps don't need any changes made

• it is not the SMTP server that you are connecting that needs to be a fully qualified in the error message -- but it is in my setup hence I couldn't see it across the internet. It is the SQL server (DBMail exec) sending the email -- the smtp server rejects the SQL server as a client because the smtp server owner have it setup to check for a fully qualified hostname when connecting to it which the DBmail exec doesn't do in my case either because the hostname of the box itself is just the a name (it doesn't belong to one in our server center) and the add DNS Suffix is not applied or its doesn't by design.

The point here is that the smtp server you are connecting to shouldn't need a fully qualified name if you supply a username and password. Picture a home user sending email from outlook express, outlook etc.. their hostname isn't fully qualified.

The other issue is that you can't make DBMail send name fully qualified in any configuration screen. It reads the name from the OS or server instance name - I don't know the interworkings of exec.

Here the exact message I recieve:

"The mail could not be sent to the recipients because of the mail server failure. (Sending Mail using Account 4 (2009-03-18T15:36:29). Exception Message: Cannot send mails to mail server. (Command parameter not implemented. The server response was: : Helo command rejected: need fully-qualified hostname)."

• At this point, you need to contact the help desk of your third party mail server and maybe even engage Microsoft in the problem. It sounds like an issue on their end or a miscommunication about what you need to be using to connect to their box.

Sorry we couldn't assist more.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• McAffee may be blocking port 25.

Check it out.

• hello try with port no 26.. worked for me all the time..i did suggest to couple other people here on this forum and it worked for them..thanks,

• Could it be a bad SP2 install? I have seen 'successful' SP2 installs that break database mail.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply