sql 2005 (32bit) on Windows Server 2003 (64bit) AWE enable?

• Hi there,

I was wondering if I can get the SQL-Server 2005 (32bit - Standard Edition) to use more the 4 GB of RAM on a Windows 2003 Server (64bit - Enterprise Edition)? :unsure:

Can I enable the AWE switch, or does it only work in a 32bit environment?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

MrAkki

• According to Books Online -> AWE, about AWE:

Support for AWE is available only in the SQL Server 2005 Enterprise, Standard, and Developer editions and only applies to 32-bit operating systems

Relevant text underlined. Looks like you might have to upgrade your SQL Server version to 64 bit.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• I don't have this set up and it is another variation on many possible configurations, but I do not see why this will not work.

SQL2005 standard 32bit can support memory above the 4GB line up to the OS maximum, so no reason why it won't on a 64bit OS.

If SQL is capable you should see a message near the start of your errorlog to the effect of 'set AWE to use more memory' (cannot remember exact message but it is quite clear).

If you try to configure AWE and it says something like 'failed -lock pages in memory not set' you know you need to set that as well.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• SQL Server 32 bit can't use more than 4GB of memory. Please use AWE setting for the 32-bit SQL Server and Lock Pages in Memory setting if it is a dedicated box for the SQL Server.

If you need to make SQL Server to use more than 4GB of memory, try switching to 64-bit version of SQL Server.

AWE is not needed on 64-bit machines.

Thank You,

Best Regards,

SQLBuddy.

• sqlbuddy123 (9/20/2010)

SQL Server 32 bit can't use more than 4GB of memory. Please use AWE setting for the 32-bit SQL Server and Lock Pages in Memory setting if it is a dedicated box for the SQL Server.

If you need to make SQL Server to use more than 4GB of memory, try switching to 64-bit version of SQL Server.

AWE is not needed on 64-bit machines.

Thank You,

Best Regards,

SQLBuddy.

did you mean to say it can but you need to enable the AWE API?

• I mean to say that it can't even if we enable the AWE.

AWE is not required on 64-bit machine. So don't in this case too.

Thank You,

Best Regards,

SQLBuddy

• As SQL2005 standard edition 32bit is inherently capable of using more than 4GB I don't see why it cannot in this scenario.

quite prepared to be proved wrong though. Perhaps MrAkki can try it and get back to us?

• Hi George,

I am ready. Please go ahead!

It's the limitation of the 32-bit architecture.

232 = 4 GB.

Thank You,

Best Regards,

SQLBuddy

• Hi,

thanks for the reply.... mmh... that means it can not be done. :crying:

So, there is no way to get the 32bit SQL-Server to use more then 4GB of memory on a 64bit OS?

What I do not understand is, if I have a 32bit OS with more than 4 GB (lets say 16GB of RAM) I can enable the AWE switch to make the SQL-Server use more then 4GB... but this doesn't work on a 64bit OS?! 🙁

Yesterday I googled for a while and found this information:

"Hybrid Installation: x86 on 64bit platforms

SQL Server 2005 32bit can be installed on 64bit platforms (WOW - Windows on Windows), although I can't think of any good reason to do so; we have 64bit versions of SQL Server 2005 and it's much more scalable and performs better than WOW installations.

Configuration of SQL Server 2005 32bit on 64bit platform is identical to SQL Server 2005 32bit on 32bit platform. You should grant Lock Pages in Memory rights to SQL Server account, set the "max server memory" configuration option and turn on the AWE option."

Do you think this works? :unsure:

Regards,

MrAkki

• MrAkki, you have the configuration at your place of work, please try it out, you cannot do any harm.

Is there by any chance a message to the effect of

'Set AWE Enabled to 1 in the configuration parameters to allow use of more memory.'

near the start of your errorlog? If there is that would mean AWE will work for you.

• sqlbuddy123 (9/20/2010)

Hi George,

I am ready. Please go ahead!

This is not a competition, I am trying to help this guy, and answer the question for anyone else that might come along later. The info you have posted so far is contradictory

It's the limitation of the 32-bit architecture.

232 = 4 GB.

thats why they wrote the AWE API. SQL 32bit on a 32bit OS CAN use more than 4GB memory, but for data cache only

• Hi George,

I will take a look in the errorlog.... and let you know.

I try to get our IT-Department to switch AWE on... when we have the next maintenance window... As soon, as I tried it I will let you know if it worked.

Thanks,

regards,

MrAkki

• @SQLBuddy123

SQL Server 32 bit can't use more than 4GB of memory.

Here's someone who's proved SQL Standard 32bit can use more than 4GB on a 32bit OS:

http://sql-server-performance.com/Community/forums/t/2322.aspx

8th post down. Mistake in BOL apparently.

• thanks for the backing Cath, I wish people would believe ME sometimes. 🙂

I actually run SQL2005 SE 32bit with more than 4GB memory, so I know it works. definitive proof here

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/psssql/archive/2009/09/11/fun-with-locked-pages-awe-task-manager-and-the-working-set.aspx

there is a little complication in the scenario in this thread, 32bit SQL on 64bit OS, so how to configure it, I think as for 32 on 32 but OP will confirm.

MrAkki, did not realise this was not under your control, are you not the DBA?

• And thank you for the link - very informative. From reading that it looks like the OP could be in luck. Will be interesting to see what their tests show.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply