SQL 2005 32-bit on Windows Enterprise 2003 64-bit

• I understand this is supported on WOW64, but I'm wondering what the pitfalls are, if any.

There are thoughts about clustering this so would this inherit additional pitfalls?

Are there special setup or configuration steps in order to support this? I keep reading that it's supported in WOW64 mode, but are there special steps to enable this at the OS and/or the MSSQL level?

Thank you for any and all help!!

-Juan B

• Before going down that road - can you explain why you think you need to install SQL Server 2005 32-bit on x64?

There are very few reasons why you would need to do this, and plenty of reasons why you would not.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• I agree, there aren't a lot of reasons to do this. I also think that clustering raises even more questions as to why..

CEWII

• Thank you for the replies. I understand this maybe out of the ordinary and that itself raises concerns.

The primary reason is for scalability without the SQL 64bit costs for 2 cpu license.

Microsoft documentation reads this is supported and actually uses as a selling point due to the flexibility with x86. I also read there is an upgrade path for SQL from 32bit to 64bit. When and if we're ready to upgrade to 64bit, we do not need to reinstall from the ground up. This specifically is important due to certain environment variables we have.

Again, I know there are raised concerns from this combination, but what I'm after is concerns related to stability, bugs, support, etc.

Thanks again!

• you should double check on the upgrade path as far as I am aware it does not exist, in order to update you need to detach/reattach.. so you will need to install 64 bit, then detach from the 32 and reattach to 64, this is usaully not a problem but if are going to cluster then I am guessing you are looking to eliminate down time....

after you get the cluster up and running you are going to spend more money doing the upgrade the you are going to save....if you are looking to save run standard edition and pay for the CPU's..we are running standard/cluster/64 bit without any problem and the cost is very cheap..if you can not deal with the missing features...then stand up a backup server and do log shipping to it...so if you need to due something to it Ie rebuild index then you can point the app to the back up server...beside that will give the needed redundancy...good luck

• JuanBob (10/5/2009)

Thank you for the replies. I understand this maybe out of the ordinary and that itself raises concerns.

The primary reason is for scalability without the SQL 64bit costs for 2 cpu license.

I am not sure where you heard this, but there are no differences in the costs associated with x86 versus x64. The cost per processor license is the same regardless of the platform you are installing on.

However, I have heard that some organizations are charging extra for x64 licenses. If that is the case with your vendor, please contact Microsoft to confirm the licensing requirements.

Microsoft documentation reads this is supported and actually uses as a selling point due to the flexibility with x86. I also read there is an upgrade path for SQL from 32bit to 64bit. When and if we're ready to upgrade to 64bit, we do not need to reinstall from the ground up. This specifically is important due to certain environment variables we have.

Do you have a link to this information? I find it highly unlikely to be the case - since upgrading anything from 32-bit (x86) to 64-bit (x64) is not possible. On any x64 hardware - x64 bit software will be installed in the normal directories (e.g. Windows\System32 and Program Files), whereas x86 installations on x64 hardware will be installed in Wow64 specific directories.

Again, I know there are raised concerns from this combination, but what I'm after is concerns related to stability, bugs, support, etc.

Thanks again!

Frankly, although it is supported and does work - you will find that x86 on x64 hardware will be less stable and have potentially more issues. Especially if you increase the available memory for the system and need to configure SQL Server to use that memory.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

• Thank you very much for all the information. This is very helpul!

I cannot exactly recall where I heard that costs for SQL Standard 32-bit vs SQL Standard 64-bit was additional. I will double-check that, so again, thank you. If there is in fact no costs, I'm not sure why mgmt wanted to focus on 32bit.

I'm digging for my resources, but this is one section (with link) that I read about the compatibility.

http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/2005/en/us/64-bit.aspx

Flexibility for Both New and Seasoned 64-bit Customers

SQL Server 2005 running on x64 servers provides a unique advantage for companies that are just getting into 64-bit technologies and those who are rapidly growing their database servers. Organizations currently on 32-bit technologies are able to run their 32-bit database on an x64 server either in two ways. Companies running a 32-bit Windows operating system can run the database in 32-bit native mode. Companies running an x64 server in 64-bit mode can run the database in the Windows-On-Windows (WOW64) segment of a 64-bit Windows operating system. This flexibility allows users who may not be immediately ready to migrate their database application to 64-bit to still use the new x64 servers today, and phase in their migration to native 64-bit database deployments at their own pace.

• That quote is a bit mis-leading because it implies that there is something that needs to be done to 'upgrade' the database application.

The only issues that have been identified that I am aware of are specific to accessing older technology through linked servers, or being able to access those older technologies from 64-bit applications that run on the server.

Specifically, the issues are related to being able to setup and connect to Access database and Paradox databases from x64 SQL Server through a linked server. If you are not using either - or some other linked server to another system, then you won't have any issues using x64 SQL Server.

Jeffrey Williams

― Charles R. Swindoll

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply