Split fields sql 2017

• I am trying to split fields in sql 2017.  The column holds the following.  I am pulling the first 50 characters and now I need to split those into 2 fields.

This is a test name1                          3006                  31

This is a test nameofsecondentry      wls                  37

Here is my Query to pull the data.

select matterinfosortname, SUBSTRING(matterinfosortname, 1, 50) from mattinf

where 1=1

and matterinfomatternum NOT LIKE '%.%'

and matterinfostatus = 0

This gives me the following:

This is a test name1                          3006

This is a test nameofsecondentry      wls

I need to split that data into 2 columns.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Assuming the parts to be split are: 1) the sentence on the left, and 2) the single string on the right.  It appears after the initial 50 character split of the original string there are extra space characters on the end of the single string on the righthand side.  To get rid of those spaces this query uses RTRIM.  Then it uses REVERSE on the trimmed string and CHARINDEX to find the first (reversed) space

with data_cte as (
    select 'This is a test name1 3006 31' matterinfosortname
    union all
    select 'This is a test nameofsecondentry wls 37')
    select *,
    len(substr.string) len_string,
    left(substr.string, len(substr.string)-space_char.ndx+1) first_string_val,
    right(substr.string, space_char.ndx-1) scond_string_val
    from data_cte
    cross apply (values (rtrim(left(matterinfosortname, 50)))) substr(string)
    cross apply (values (charindex(' ', reverse(substr.string)))) space_char(ndx);

Aus dem Paradies, das Cantor uns geschaffen, soll uns niemand vertreiben können

• The data seemed inconsistent / "impossible" to me.  How can the left-most 50 bytes be '3006' when that doesn't appear in the original value at all??

SQL DBA,SQL Server MVP(07, 08, 09) "It's a dog-eat-dog world, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear." "Norm", on "Cheers". Also from "Cheers", from "Carla": "You need to know 3 things about Tortelli men: Tortelli men draw women like flies; Tortelli men treat women like flies; Tortelli men's brains are in their flies".

• Thank you Steve. This works perfectly.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply