SP3a not installing?

• I'm trying to upgrade from 8.00.760 to 8.00.818. When I apply the patch, it appears to run, but the log says that no changes were done, but gives no errors. The @@version still remains at 8.00.760. What am I missing?

• What do the last few lines of the sqlsp.log file say? This is found in the %WINDIR% directory (C:\WINNT or C:\WINDOWS in most configurations). Does it indicate an error?

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• Yes, it does -- I didn't look at it, and it happened before I was called in. Start of file:

09:44:20 Begin Setup

09:44:20 Version on Media: 8.00.761

09:44:20 Mode = Normal

09:44:20 ModeType = NORMAL

09:44:20 Begin: SetupInitialize() .....

End of file:

09:45:34 Setup was unable to verify the state of the server for an upgrade. Verify the server is able to start and that you provided a valid sa password and restart setup.

09:45:34 End Action DialogShowSdUpgrade

09:45:34 End: ShowDialogs()

09:45:34 Action CleanUpInstall:

09:45:34 Installation Failed.

• The excerpt you submitted didn't give what process was running when the setup error came up, but here is a link from the Microsoft Knowledge Base. Perhaps that might be the answer:

MDAC Issue - PRB: Error Message: "Setup was unable to validate the logged user..." Occurs When You Install SQL Server 2000 Service Pack 3 (SP3)

You can check the current MDAC levels with Microsoft's MDAC Utility: Component Checker.

MDAC Downloads page

It should be at the top of the page under Tools.

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply