SP3a install fails on sp3_serv_uni.sql script

• Howzit fellows. Been having a problem doing my zillionth sp3a ungrade. This is on a server with 4 instances, 3 of which are already upgraded to sp3a. In a nutshell.

Looking at the sqlsp.log file, I can see that the install fails on the sp3_serv_uni.sql script. Looking in the sp3_serv_uni.out file. The part of the script that fails is the "Creating 'system_function_schema.fn_get_sql'.". The error is as follows "There is already an object named 'fn_get_sql'" in the database.

But, if I run the following (taken from the sp3_serv_uni.sql script)

select * from sysobjects

where xtype = N'TF' and uid = USER_ID('system_function_schema') and

name = 'fn_get_sql'

It does not find the object. Running this on a box that already has sp3 brings back a positive result. Also note, that within the script it first tries to drop the function as follows.

if exists (select * from sysobjects

where xtype = N'TF' and uid = USER_ID('system_function_schema') and

name = 'fn_get_sql')

drop function system_function_schema.fn_get_sql

go

So why the cursed thing fails is a mystery to me. Microsoft have not been particicuarly helpful and a web search has only shown one chap who did a complete rebuild to solve it, this is not an option.

Any ideas would be much appreciated

• I had some problems similar with yours when I've installed MSSQL 2000 Developer edition on a XP PRO box and I tried to install SP3.

For me the solution was :

1.)Made a empty database

2.)Restore msdb from a another server which had been upgraded (SP3) before.

3.)Installed SP3

Very curios thing another time when I have installed MSSQL 2000 Standard edition everything went O.K. so I didn't need to do all the things above .

Good luck.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply