SP2 CU4

• I've started getting the following error when installing this patch:

Error installing SQL Server Database Engine Services Instance Features
    File C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL13.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Binn\DllTmp64\sqlagentctr130.dll could not be copied to file path C:\Windows\system32\perf-MSSQL13.MSSQLSERVER-sqlagtctr.dll.
    Error code: 0x85500003

Anyone have  a fix?

• After some experimentation on a test server, I'm finding this works:

1. Install Patch (get failure message))
    2. Reboot server
    3. Install patch (right click and run as administrator)

• What if you ran the first time as admin? Or did you?

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Monday, November 19, 2018 9:38 AM

What if you ran the first time as admin? Or did you?

Yeah. I even tried getting one of my colleagues to log in as a domain admin to see if that made a difference.

• Very strange. I know that sometimes a reboot is needed. My first install of CU4 noted that my system needed a reboot, but the second time (after reboot), this just installed.

Did you get the check message that a reboot is needed? Depending on what's changed, sometimes a pending reboot is set for some items.

• I feel like I remember some of these errors back working with 2008r2 and 2012 and they were all permissions/rights issue and based on corporate domain policies being tighten and default user rights to the local administrators group on a Windows operating system were also removed.

Look in the Group Policy Management Editor in Computer configurations -> Policies -> Windows Settings -> Security Settings -> Local Policies -> User Rights Assignments:

Are these three all listed as Full Control, if not update them as such and retest.

Back Up files and directory

Debug programs

Manage auditing and security log

Also the Setup user account requires the following default user rights for setup to be completed successfully.

Local Policy Object Display Name :: User Right

Backup files and directories :: SeBackupPrivilege

Debug Programs :: SeDebugPrivilege

Manage auditing and security log :: SeSecurityPrivilege

You should be in a better place with time to read over the MS KB below.

Have a look at: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2000257

Enjoy AWS re:Invent 2018 in Las Vegas!!

• Hi Chris,

Yes I thinks that's what it is. There's been a recent security exercise here and looks like some of my local server rights have been removed. Even adding my account back into Domain Admins didn't fix the issue. Luckily the admin guys have created a special admin account that still retains the needed permissions.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply