SP Removal

• I am planning to install SP3 on my SQL Server 2005 server this week and I'd like to have a plan for proper removal before hand. Of course, I'm not expecting to have a problem (never have had an issue laying down an SP to date), however, this is a very consolidated server (124 databases) and I simply don't have the resources to build a test replica. So, in the off chance that one of the many applications that connects the server is not happy after the installation, what is the best way to uninstall the SP?

I can go so far as to pull a drive from the OS mirror while I do the upgrade, but wasn't sure if that was necessary. Is it as simple as Add/remove programs and restore a backup of master, msdb, and model?

• Is it as simple as Add/remove programs and restore a backup of master, msdb, and model?

Unfortunately you cannot uninstall SP3. According to Microsoft if you need it rolled back, you have to uninstall the whole SQL Server.

You may also want to see this thread:

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic638674-146-1.aspx#bm638732

• FWIW - when you get to SQL Server 2008 SP1 (and greater), you will have the ability to rollback a service pack. But, until then - to rollback you have to uninstall and reinstall back to the previous service pack level.

Pulling the drives as a safety feature is a great idea - it could get you back to a system just prior to upgrading, however - you need to make sure you also have the system databases for each instance. If not, the system databases will be upgraded and the binaries wouldn't and you are going to have some serious problems with SQL Server starting.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• Yeah, I think I'm going to back up the databases and pull a drive from the mirror...seems like the best approach.

Thanks. RH

• rhunt (9/28/2009)

Yeah, I think I'm going to back up the databases and pull a drive from the mirror...seems like the best approach.

Thanks. RH

I have done the same thing on prior upgrades - pulled the mirror so we could get back to a baseline configuration quickly.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply