Some T-sql help required

• Wonder if anyone can help me.

I'm trying to write a piece of sql which will set a deleted flag to 1 where the sum of certain records on a policy = 0.

If there are 2 values say 1000.23 and -1000.23 for a specific policyid I want to set a flag in another table to delete.

For example

If a policy which has 5 entries and 2 are for 1000.23 and -1000.23 I want to identify those records which will have the same policy id do a sum on them and make sure they are 0 and then set a deleted flag in another table to deleted.

eg

Update [accountTable] set deleted = 1

where (this is the bit I can't get) sum (policyPremium) =0.

If I isolate distinct policy id values can I then search within the monetary values and look for matching +/- values in order to flag those values as deleted in the accounts table.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I seem to be going round in circles.

Thanks

G

• your issue is you need to update FROM another table...not a real table, but a summary of data in another table;

you didn't provide any details as far as the schema and columns, so this is a just a guess that is syntacticalyl correct that might get you going in the right direction:

/*

uncomment the update and comment the select if the select returns the "right" data

--UPDATE [accountTable] SET deleted = 1*/

SELECT * [accountTable]

FROM ( SELECT

POLICYID, --what is the real identifier?

SUM(policyPremium) AS policyPremium

FROM POLICYPAYMENTS --what is the real table?

GROUP BY POLICYID

HAVING SUM(policyPremium) = 0 --only the zero balance

)MySubQuery

WHERE [accountTable].POLICYID = MySubQuery.POLICYID

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Update A set deleted = (select case when sum (policyPremium) =0 then 1 else 0 end from [accountTable] I where I.PolicyID =a.PolicyID )

from [accountTable] A

• another issue to consider;

avoid updating a static table based on a rollup of other information; use a view instead;

the tables could be out of sync if the process is not called after every single update to the table, something like this is better:

CREATE VIEW POLICYSTATUS

AS

SELECT CASE WHEN policyPremium = 0 THEN 'DELETED' ELSE ' OPEN' END,

MySubQuery.*

FROM (

SELECT

POLICYID, --what is the real identifier?

SUM(policyPremium) AS policyPremium

FROM POLICYPAYMENTS --what is the real table?

GROUP BY POLICYID )

MySubQuery

the above method make sure they status is always correct based on the raw data, and not based on whether an update failed or not.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Some more detail:

Policy Key Premium

---------- ----------

123456 1002.36

123456 526.25

123456 -1002.36

456789 256.23

456789 478.25

456789 589.86

456789 -256.23

There can be multiple premium values but I'm looking for the +/- pairs out of each policy eg the 1002.36 and the 256.23 entries above.

Within each policy id I'm looking for identical values which when summed = 0 and then I want to flag those records as deleted so they don't show up on a report.

The report is pulling back every policy id and all the premium values associated with it. Unfortunately users are cancelling off values which I can't tie back by any key and they want them flagged as deleted so they don't show on the report.

Sorry if I wasn't clearer before but I'm totally stumped on how you would do that!!

• DROP TABLE #Sample

CREATE TABLE #Sample ([Policy Key] int, Premium money)

INSERT INTO #Sample ([Policy Key], Premium)

SELECT 123456, 1002.36 UNION ALL

SELECT 123456, 526.25 UNION ALL

SELECT 123456, -1002.36 UNION ALL

SELECT 456789, 256.23 UNION ALL

SELECT 456789, 478.25 UNION ALL

SELECT 456789, 589.86 UNION ALL

SELECT 456789, -256.23

-- test solution

SELECT [Policy Key]

FROM #Sample

GROUP BY [Policy Key], ABS(Premium)

HAVING COUNT(*) = 2 AND SUM(Premium) = 0

ORDER BY [Policy Key]

-- output:

-- [Policy Key]

-- ------------

-- Apply solution

UPDATE s SET Flag = 1

FROM Sometable s

INNER JOIN (

SELECT [Policy Key]

FROM #Sample

GROUP BY [Policy Key], ABS(Premium)

HAVING COUNT(*) = 2 AND SUM(Premium) = 0

ORDER BY [Policy Key]

) d ON d.[Policy Key] = s.[Policy Key]

โ€œWrite the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.โ€ - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• your answer for 3 question is correct

hope the following helps ๐Ÿ™‚

3)

SELECT s.sid AS "Suppliers Id"

FROM suppliers s INNER JOIN catalog c

ON s.sid = c.sid INNER JOIN parts p

ON c.pid = p.pid

WHERE UPPER(p.color) = 'RED'

OR UPPER(p.color) = 'GREEN';

--------

4)

SELECT supp.suppid AS "Suppliers Id"

FROM

(SELECT COUNT(*) AS cnt

FROM parts p

WHERE UPPER(p.color) = 'RED') prod,

(SELECT COUNT(p.color) AS cnt1 , s.sid AS suppid

FROM suppliers s INNER JOIN catalog c

ON s.sid = c.sid

INNER JOIN parts p

ON c.pid = p.pid

WHERE UPPER(p.color = 'RED')) supp

WHERE supp.cnt1 = prod.cnt;

SEO services | PSD to HTML

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply