Some folders missing

• I use SQL 2005 express edition to register other SQL servers. But notification services and SQL Agent are missing on my machine (I can see them locally).

What are wrong?

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

• I'm confused. You installed SQL express on your machine and how do you register other servers? I thought Management Studio didn't come with express.

In any case, Management Studio shouldn't be caring which version you have, it should register the servers. Are you saying that you don't have the folders in Management Studio? Or the options aren't installed on your local machine?

• SQL Server Express does not have the Agent service or notification services. You basically get the database engine.

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms365248.aspx

• And I believe reporting services comes with Express to.

• I installed SQL 2005 express edition on Windows XP. But I cannot see SQL Server Agent on it.

I cannot see the Notification Services and SQL Server Agent on other registered SQL 2005.

I cannot see the SQL Server Agent on other registered SQL 2000.

Many thanks in advance.

• Adam:

You are right. SQL 2005 express edition does not support the Notification Services and SQL Server Agent Services.

However, when I use SQL 2005 express edition to register other standard and enterprise editions, I still cannot see these two services. Is it the same reason?

Many thanks once again.

• Yes, SQL server Management Studio is different between standard and express. I believe that the Express verison is stripped down. One piece of evidence that leads me to believe this is the fact that SSMS runs under a different executable. SQL Express runs with the SSMSEE executable and all other versions of SQL Server run under SQLWB executable. To the best of my knowledge, these executables call different binaries/assembles, therefore, have different functionality.

If anyone else can rebutt or clarify the situation, I would love to learn something new 😀

• Well - I tried to manage the Developer edition from SSMSEE and was told I couldn't. So - at very least there's some logic there that's a little different. I''m not sure that the reverse is true (trying to manage SQLExpress from a conventional SSMS).

I also remember that Express had all of the scheduling stuff ripped out of it, so I'd imagine the SSMSEE interface was appropriately "lightened" as well

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• There are also several versions of Express. For one - the initial SQLExpress version didn't come with SSMSEE, but the newer does (and there is a separate download for SSMSEE).

There is also a slightly different package called SQL Express with advanced services, which then includes a "reduced" version of Reporting services....

Different Editions of SQL Express Edition

Nothing like making the free version complicated as well....:D

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply