Solution vs. Project

• From what I can tell there is only the ability to create a Bussiness Intelligence Project not a Solution.  It says Solution but I can not add sub-directories or anything. 

I have to create a Solution for

Reporting/Tax Data/...

Where in SSMS I can create a solution which would allow me to put all of these sub-directories under one folder like this DBServer>Reporting>Tax Data>.....

Is this the wrong conclusion?  If so how?

• In BI Studio, you have a project which is a collection of packages (and data sources and data views).  Once you deploy those packages to a server or file system, you can organize them by logical area.  I usually create one project per logical "business" area.

• What you are saying is what I thought.  So you can manage it from SSMS but SSIS is really for developers on projects.  In my case I could have 3 SSIS projects open at once (organized functionally).  BI Studio will not let me do that.  I can open files but it does not open like a solution would with projects under it.  no response necessary I just have to get used to it.  I am used to seeing everything under a solution umbrella. 

• I just found out how to do it.  When you create the first project it says Solution: and next to it you can select create a new solution.  Then when you want to create your subdirectories in that same box select add to solution.  This allows you to have all of your DTS packages available when needed.  Making it work the same way SSMS does.  Since I am the only developer and the DBA on Staff this will simplify things for me.  I can still upload by project which is cool.  Thanks for the help

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply