Social Media and Interviews

• TravisDBA (4/24/2012)

You just exactly made my point, you are admitting basically that you are already using some type of illegal drug, just not blow at this time(which BTW is usually a drug user term for this drug.). Hence the drug user logic for legalization. They all have a vested interest in it passing. Go figure? 😀

Interesting how you make assumptions based on the use of common (user) terms for drugs. All three of my kids went through DARE and we learned many of the names for the various drugs. My using those names doesn't mean I use them and I would take personal offence if anyone accused me of doing so based on the use on this terminology.

• Lynn Pettis (4/24/2012)

TravisDBA (4/24/2012)

You just exactly made my point, you are admitting basically that you are already using some type of illegal drug, just not blow at this time(which BTW is usually a drug user term for this drug.). Hence the drug user logic for legalization. They all have a vested interest in it passing. Go figure? 😀

Interesting how you make assumptions based on the use of common (user) terms for drugs. All three of my kids went through DARE and we learned many of the names for the various drugs. My using those names doesn't mean I use them and I would take personal offence if anyone accused me of doing so based on the use on this terminology.

Not assuming anything, but I'm pretty observant too. If it quacks like a duck it might be a goose, your right, but then again, it might just be a duck too. Most people pushing hard for legalization are users, thats a fact. 😀

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ...:-D"

• TravisDBA (4/24/2012)

Lynn Pettis (4/24/2012)

TravisDBA (4/24/2012)

Not assuming anything, but I'm pretty observant too. If it quacks like a duck it might be a goose, your right, but then again, it might just be a duck too. Most people pushing hard for legalization are users, thats a fact. 😀

Again, I think you are making a generalization not necessarily based on fact.

Personally, I think we lost the war on drugs, but no one wants to admit it.

• Again, I think you are making a generalization not necessarily based on fact.

I absolutely agree Lynn, we long have lost it, but that is no reason to legalize just beacuse of that.:-D

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ...:-D"

• TravisDBA (4/24/2012)

You just exactly made my point, you are admitting basically that you are already using (or would use) some type of illegal drug, just not blow at this time because it is currently illegal. (Which BTW is usually a drug user term for this drug anyway). Hence the drug user logic for legalization. They all have a vested interest in it passing. Go figure? 😀

Who are you directly speaking to with this post?

Cheers

• No one individually. However, most people in my expereince who are pushing hard for legalization have a vested interest in my opinion.:-D

• You wrote that a post proved your point so you certainly were talking to someone specifically. Man up and say so and do it without adding some emotion icon for once.

Cheers

• TravisDBA (4/24/2012)

Again, I think you are making a generalization not necessarily based on fact.

I absolutely agree Lynn, we long have lost it, but that is no reason to legalize just beacuse of that.:-D

So prohibition doesn't work, but that's no reason not to carry on with it. That sounds like stoned logic to me.

I'm not advocating a free for all, I think drugs can be controlled better within the law then without. You can set age limits, make it harder for children to buy them, separate sale of hard drugs from sale of soft drugs. There are so many ways you can nudge people towards taking less drugs, not trying them at all, or taking less dangerous ones if they are controlled within the law than if they are supplied by criminals who may sell marijuana and heroin.

Do you really think it's a good use of police time to arrest students for having a bit of puff on them, do you really think that benefits anyone at all?

• TravisDBA (4/24/2012)

No one individually. However, most people in my expereince who are pushing hard for legalization have a vested interest in my opinion.:-D

Let's see. If regulated (yes, under age kids still manage to get alcohol and cigerettes), taxed (another source of income for local, state, and federal agencies) could work. Only sold by licensed dealers. Can't be located within one mile of any schools. Regulate the manufacture of the drugs to ensure some level of safety (how many deaths to users of illegal drugs have been related to drugs mixed with poisons).

I am not advocating the legalization as much as I am advocating looking at alternatives. What other ways can we battle this issue since making criminals of everyone really hasn't helped.

I'm sure there are other options, but there needs to be a open forum for discussion. This is where listening to those on the front lines is important.

The DARE program my kids went through wasn't just about illegal drugs, it also tried to educate them on the hazards of legal drugs as well.

• I'm sure there are other options, but there needs to be a open forum for discussion. This is where listening to those on the front lines is important.

The DARE program my kids went through wasn't just about illegal drugs, it also tried to educate them on the hazards of legal drugs as well.

I couldn't agree more stressing education on the hazards of ALL drugs is extremely important, not just illegal ones. But legalization is not the answer IMHO. It only serves the vested interests of people that are currently using in my opniion.:-D

• TravisDBA (4/24/2012)

I'm sure there are other options, but there needs to be a open forum for discussion. This is where listening to those on the front lines is important.

I couldn't agree more stressing education on the hazards of ALL drugs is extremely important, not just illegal ones. But legalization is not the answer IMHO. It only serves the vested interests of people that are currently using in my opniion.:-D

Your opinion and you are welcome to it. Just be sure that you allow others to hold differing opinions as well.

• Of course absolutely, I'm not preventing people from their opinions or their free choice for that matter, even if it is currently illegal. People are going to do what they want in the long run anyway. All I'm saying, when it comes to legislating something like drug legalization into law for a whole country based on a few vested interests, well...we can't necesaarily just let that happen either.:-D

• TravisDBA (4/24/2012)

It certainly wouldn't serve the needs of the criminal gangs currently supplying drugs.

We've had several scientific studies in the UK recommending legalisation of one form or another to limit the harm drugs do to society and individuals. They've all been ignored. David Nutt was even fired as the head of the Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs when he called for evidence led policy, pointed our that alcohol was more harmful then marijuana, and that more people per exposure die from horse riding then ecstasy.

It seems that many people don't want to listen to the evidence and just want to keep locking people up, even those who's recreational use is only harming themselves (and possibly less then many of us' recreational use of alcohol) because "Drugs are bad, mmmmm, OK"

Legalisation would serve the needs of current users. It would mean they wouldn't be risking arrest for popping a pill and dancing away the night, they would be taking a known risk with their bodies based on their chosen substance, rather then an unknown based on what it might be cut with, and they would be contributing more to society through their increased tax payments. Tax payments that could be spent on DARE programmes (whatever they are) education and drug treatment.

Over 100,000,000 Americans have tried pot[/url]. 54% of the population. So, should we lock up half the population to protect the other half? Will that really serve anyone? Plus who will make the cool rock music and rap songs once all the potheads are locked up?

People are always going to want to get wasted occasionally. There is evidence it is a natural drive. For most of us booze is just fine for that purpose. Other's prefer other substances. The majority of people who use substances don't get addicted. Locking people up for what they put in their body doesn't help anyone.

As someone once said. There's a time and place for everything. It's called college.

• TravisDBA (4/24/2012)

Of course absolutely, I'm not preventing people from their opinions or their free choice for that matter, even if it is currently illegal. People are going to do what they want in the long run anyway. All I'm saying, when it comes to legislating something like drug legalization into law for a whole country based on a few vested interests, well...we can't necesaarily just let that happen either.:-D

And thiat is where I will disagree with you. I don't believe it is just a few vested interests.

• Lynn Pettis (4/24/2012)

TravisDBA (4/24/2012)

Of course absolutely, I'm not preventing people from their opinions or their free choice for that matter, even if it is currently illegal. People are going to do what they want in the long run anyway. All I'm saying, when it comes to legislating something like drug legalization into law for a whole country based on a few vested interests, well...we can't necesaarily just let that happen either.:-D

And thiat is where I will disagree with you. I don't believe it is just a few vested interests.

Well, to my knowledge it is not the majority opinion either.:-D

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 200 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply