SMTP Configuration for Remote Server

• I have one problem which i am not able to solve regardig the reporting

service SMTP services.

One of our client is using the SQL server 2000 along with Microsoft

Reporting Services. They need to configure SQL Reporting services for

sending reports through emails using subscription services. They don't

have any SMTP server located in their local network nor they have SMTP service running in domain network.

They are using external SMTP server for sending & receiving mails. How

to configure the RSReportServer.config file for the same? If we refer

documentation available in Reporting Service Books Online, it states

that we can configure using SMTPAuthenticate settings by using

"SENDUSERNAME" & "SENDPASSWORD".

If We Refer the MSDN online it states SMTPAuthenticate authorization is not

supported.

Please help me in matter to solve the problem. We are unable to send

mails using reporting service by using the settings stated in the

Reporting Service Books Online. Please solve the following problems.

1. Whether it is possible to use SMTP server outside the network or

not?

2. If yes what is the method of configuring SMTP services?

3. How can we send username & password to authenticate the user?

4. Send us sample RSReportServer.config if possible for the same.

Lot of thanks in advance

• No reply for my query?? Where are the experts?? Well with my own research i came to know that my Remote SMTP server is not supposrting Relaying. So i can not send mails without authorization. If i enable Relaying it may create SPAM mail problem as server is live on internet. So any body knows how to send username & password to SMTP server when Reporting Server send mails???

• Try this program http://www.emailarms.com/products/1st_smtp.html - it looks like it will connect directly from the server that way or you set it up on another pc and relay the messages to it.  It costs $49.  You can also spend $69 and get a full fledged pop3/smtp server program from them http://www.emailarms.com/products/best_smtp_server.html.   I am sure there are several others out there, these were the first ones that popped up.

As you stated, the option for basic authentication is not supported according to msdn, so there doesn't look like there is a way for you to configure that way.  (They have 0, No Authentication, and 2, NTLM Authentication).  How stupid is that?  Oh well.

Shango

• The SMTP service can be modified on the RSReportServer.config file under the ReportServer folder.... if they are using an external SMTP it should be still find... as long the IP address from the external party has permission to talk to the reporting services box...

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms159155.aspx

• SMTPAuthenticate specifies how the report server connects to the remote SMTP server. The default value is 0 (or no authentication). In this case, the connection is made through Anonymous access. Depending on your domain configuration, the report server and the SMTP server may need to be members of the same domain.

To send e-mail to restricted distribution lists (for example, distribution lists that accept incoming messages only from authenticated accounts), set SMTPAuthenticate to 2.

• Moe C

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply