Shrink database on tempDB

• Hi all,

I got a procedure that everyday Shrinks every DB excluding system DB.

Now this tecnique is correct?...because I read shrink files of tempDB is dangerous...'cause some process can be used it, and on restart of sql server istance it's rebuild.

Now, if right clic on tempDB > Task > Shrink > File, I see on proprety a negative number...like:

current allocate space: 8.00 MB

available free space: -42.19 MB (-527%)

What it mean?

I put tempDB on single HD with 130 Gb free space...I think this enougth...but yesterday for the first time ever disk was full...I think some big procedure that fill space. I must restart sql server

Thanks Alen Italy

• I dont now the exact facts regarding this but in my experience we do on occation shrink the tempdb's but it never shrinks it by much. We have never had any bad experiences with this.

Unfortunately restarting the SQL instance is the only solution to flush them out from what I can see.

• Shrinking databases is not recommended at all, not just shrinking of TempDB. Why are you shrinking your databases every day? If you're not rebuilding all indexes after the shrink you probably have very badly fragmented indexes - see Shrinking databases[/url]. Make sure to check the two articles linked at the end

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply