Show data from DB on top of each page

• Hi everyone,

SSRS noob here again. I have to make a report where the top of each page shows some information, pulled from the database. The information is about clients, such as Client name, address, etc. There will be more than one page per client, and so the same information has to be repeated on top of each page for each client. And since the page header doesn't allow data from the database, how do I go about making this happen? Thanks in advance.

• I think a text box inside of a list object may give you the solution. Have you googled this at all? I found a couple of links that look useful:

http://geekswithblogs.net/Bunch/archive/2008/03/05/data-into-a-ssrs-header-again.aspx

http://forums.asp.net/t/1347596.aspx/1

• Hi seth, thanks so much for the help!

Yes, I did google, but all I got was repeating table headers on each page. Now that I think about it, I guess I could add a table, merge the header cells, and add in one or more text boxes to the header row and then set the header row to repeat on each page? I don't know, it might not work in practice. I'll check out the links that you posted...hopefully their solution will work like a charm. Thanks again.

• I have been trying for a few hours, but can't make this to work. The farthest I have gotten is to have a table object, created a group column, made the group header repeat, put in a rectangle in the header and then some textboxes in the rectangle. Then I added the information that I need to be repeated, but apparently only the information from the FIRST row that was returned by my query is shown on the top of every page....the data should change as the group changes. Can anyone please tell me in simple terms what I need to do to get the information on top of each page? This should be simple to do, I can't believe that we need to do all sorts of gymnastics to get it to work in SSRS 2008 R2.

Sorry, am frustrated at SSRS right now.

• I would use a list, and if you need repeating data put a tablix/table inside the list. Group the list and tablix on the same data element and you should be good.

• Thank you Daniel, I'll try that in a couple of hours and let you know if I have any questions, many thanks!

• I probably should have been more specific than "Data element." From what I understand you want to group on client.

• Thank you soooo much Daniel, I just tried it and it works!!!! Here's what I did, just in case someone else needs this info:

1. Dropped a list tablix in my report.

2. Dragged some data fields onto the list from my dataset.

3. With the list selected, clicked on the drop down box next to Details under Row Groups. Chose Group Properties.

4. On the General screen, added a group on a data column.

5. On the Page Breaks screen, checked "Between each instance of a group". Clicked on OK to get out of the Group Properties window.

6. Dropped a Table tablix INSIDE the list tablix.

7. Right clicked in the details area and chose Add Group > Column Group > Parent Group. This opens up the Tablix group window.

8. In the Group by text box, I chose the same column as I did in step 4 above.

9. Selected the Add group header option. Then clicked on OK.

10. Merged the entire top row into one cell.

11. Dropped a Rectangle item on to the merged cell.

12. Dropped a Textbox item on the same cell and chose a column from my dataset (a column that changes when the group changes).

13. Clicked on the Table tablix and right clicked on the little box that appears on the top left side of the tablix and chose Tablix Properties.

14. Under the General screen, selected the "Repeat header columns on each page", which is in the Column Headers section.

15. Clicked OK to get out of Tablix Properties, and ran the report

And wallaaaaa, the group headers appear on each page, and the values change when the group changed.

Many thanks again Daniel, for setting me on the right path! And the hint about setting the same group on the list and the table was crucial.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply