Shout Your Successes

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Shout Your Successes

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Well, Grant, this is one where I pretty much disagree in most cases.  Putting this in the perspective on my years in IT, my experience is that those who tout their success the most and the loudest are usually not the best performers.  Over the period I worked in eight different IT organizations and with a variety of managers, project managers, and co-workers.  I found generally that those who blathered on the most were usually the least capable and productive, and I think I became fairly adept at making this determination on my own without being told.  My unspoken mantra became "Don't tell me...Show me."   The only exception to this was when I would schedule a one-on-one meeting with a manager to discuss my position and salary, not even the usual annual performance review where the salary question was already settled and I was just being informed.

This also just reminded me of a time when I was meeting with the president and co-owner of the company I was working for, and I did just this, 'blowing my horn' about something I and my developers has just completed.  After I finished, his response was "Well, what have you done for me today?".   After I got over the irritation from that, I found that it was very good for my perspective on my own work.  From then on, I found I didn't need accolades from others to bolster my pride,  all I needed was to produce to my own satisfaction.

• This reply was modified 2 days, 4 hours ago by  skeleton567.

Rick
    Disaster Recovery = Backup ( Backup ( Your Backup ) )

• What? My opinion can't possibly be wrong. HA! Totally kidding.

Yeah, hey, honest people can certainly disagree. Without a doubt our experiences and the lessons we get from the vary. It's all part & parcel of how the whole beautiful mess works.

And, probably, I am one of the less capable people who shouts too much about mediocre accomplishments. I'll probably still keep doing it though.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply