Sharepoint (MOSS 2007) : moving system databses on same server

• Hi,

MOSS 2007 and SQL 2005 Windows 2005

Moving system databses on new locationS on the same server (tempdb, master, model, msdb, ressource and CERTIFICATE)

My client asked me to move system databases to a new location on a Sharepoint Server farm. I don't really know the sharepont architecture databases but I will work with the Sharepoint Adminin on this projet.

Question 1 :

I will like to know what are the problems I can encountered in the process of moving system databases on MOSS if any ?

Question 2 :

Does

master.ldf and mssqlsystemressource.ldf can be

located on new_drive\systemdb\LOG\

and

master.mdf and mssqlsystemressource.mdf can be

located on new_drive\systemdb\DATA\

Question 3 :

I can see one (1) file that looks like a certificate. How can I identify what certificate it is and HOW and WHERE to move it ?

thank you

Calico

• calico-604598 (6/6/2010)

Hi,

MOSS 2007 and SQL 2005 Windows 2005

Moving system databases on new locationS on the same server (tempdb, master, model, msdb, resource and CERTIFICATE)

Question 1 :

I will like to know what are the problems I can encountered in the process of moving system databases on MOSS if any ?

No particular problems because it is MOSS, sharepoint does not care where the system databases are, but you must follow the documented process carefully and keep master and resource db AND distmdl.mdf and distmdl.ldf files together to avoid future problems with upgrades. the distmodel files can be moved with just copy and paste, no special method required.

Question 2 :

Does

master.ldf and mssqlsystemressource.ldf can be

located on new_drive\systemdb\LOG\

and

master.mdf and mssqlsystemressource.mdf can be

located on new_drive\systemdb\DATA\

Keep the system databases .mdf and ,.ldf files together in the same directory, no point in separating them,again separating them can cause problems with patches and upgrades

Question 3 :

I can see one (1) file that looks like a certificate. How can I identify what certificate it is and HOW and WHERE to move it ?

pretty sure that is to do with SQLAgent created at patch time, you can certainly leave it where it is with no adverse affects at all. a straight copy and paste to new location should be fine.

see http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/sqlsecurity/thread/5bb750cd-c4e2-44e9-9938-5975bae3d9ca

Do you have the methods for moving system databases?

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• Thank you SSCrazy for your answers

Yes I found the procedure on BOL 2005

Calico

• I just moved my backend database to a new server with a different name.

The stsadm tool worked for me using the renameserver command.

Greg E

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply