setting up a 2 node cluster

• Perry Whittle (8/4/2010)

Robert

remember as you are implementing a cluster you will inherently have more than 2 machines on the network (a cluster is dependant upon DNS and AD).

You cluster the 2 SQL server nodes using MNS but this requires 3 nodes? So, you simply configure a 3rd node (not a cluster node but a file share based witness) which could be a member server of the domain or a domain controller itself (not ideal but it works)!

The best thing to do is to play with this concept in a virtual environment, to re create the SAN storage I use FREENAS. I have a PDF doc that covers how to set up a virtual SQL Server 2008 cluster

at the following link

Perry,

What an amazing document! Can you make one in Hyper-V version with the witness server? 😀

• Thank you, I could possibly add the witness setup to the VMWare based doc but I don't have or use Hyper-V.

Its very easy, just configure the cluster as usual using MNS then follow the MS doc on configuring a witness file share node ( i have posted this link previously).

Really the only difference between VMWare and HyperV is the way the VMs are created and the virtual networking. Get this down first and then follow the rest of the doc.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• If you want to script the SQL 2008 cluster install, FineBuild can help. The current release will also create a MSDTC cluster if you want one.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply