Service Packs for Admin Tools??

• Hello All - we are moving from a NT desktop platform to an XP platform, finally..... The team that "layers" applications is asking me if there is a newer version of the SQL Server 2000 Administration Tools out there. The "layering" process that we go through is basically repackaging application install files so that they are centrally located on app servers for end users to install from. It is supposed to make things easier and helps with managing licenses (control who can install what with global groups), but it is causing me headaches.

The SQL Admin Tools that we currently use has the old SQL BOL and I know there is an updated version of BOL for SP3. Was there anything else for the client side updated or just BOL? How can I check what version of Enterprise Manager, Query Analyzer, etc that I have? Or is there only one version?

Thanks in advance and please let me know if you need more info or if I am missing something.

• You let users install SQL Admin tools?  Be that as it may, there is just the SQL 7 or the SQL 2000 version of the tools.  The service packs affect the database, system stored procedures or extended stored procedures, not the GUI.  BOL was updated but nothing else on the client side.

Francis

• Up for discussion:

If you have a SQL Server at SP3 and then install Ent. manager on workstation and try and open up a DTS package on the workstation can you make a change and save it?  I know some of the service packs make changes in dts and there are some incompatibilities there. I don't know if this is a true issue though.

• "You let users install SQL Admin tools?"

Yeah, boo, hiss, I know. But this is the world I live in and don't have control over what software we release to users. But thanks for the info, that was my feeling that only BOL were updated.

Markus - I had created a DTS package from the server (SQL 2000 SP3a) and was able to update and save it from my desktop. There were some minor changes in the DTS functionality from SP3 to SP3a but it doesn't look like they should affect what you are trying to do.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=/support/servicepacks/sql/2000/sp3readme.asp#_data_transformation_services

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply