Service Packs and SQL Updates

• We just had a discussion among our DBAs concerning Service Packs and SQL Updates. We have not been applying regular updates to our SQL Servers, but now we wonder if we should be as disciplined with SQL as we are with our PCs across the organization. We have a WSUS server pushing updates to our PCs and servers for Windows Critical Updates, but I understand that WSUS is not able to push updates for older versions of SQL, only 2005 and later.

There is some thought that SQL is too critical to shove every update that comes down the pike, and only apply updates when required by vendors or due to critical issues that arise. On the other hand, Microsoft must be creating these updates for a reason, and shouldn't we be applying them all the time?

Any advice and information about your operations would be greatly appreciated.

Dan Murray

Thurston County, WA

• We apply all critical OS updates using Patch Authority Plus once a Month, usually on the Thursday after Microsoft sends out its update announcements. At that same time, I manually apply an SQL Server patches that need to be applied to our servers. I don't really care to have WSUS try patching my SQL Instances for me. The OS can be done all day long, that is another teams problem to fix.

Jonathan Kehayias | Principal Consultant | MCM: SQL Server 2008
    My Blog | Twitter | MVP Profile
    Training | Consulting | Become a SQLskills Insider
    Troubleshooting SQL Server: A Guide for Accidental DBAs[/url]

• Thanks for the reply Jonathan.

Have you had any issues with SQL patches causing trouble and needing to be backed out?

Do you apply all supplied patches, or do you look at the patch reason and decide based on content?

Dan

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply