Service Packs

• Is it true that each SQL Server Hotfix is a culumlative fix that includes all previous Hotfixes?

If I want to build a test SQL Server with SP3a Hotfix 878, do I need to install all hotfixes after SP3a up until Hotfix 878, or just SP3a and Hotifx 878?

Thanks in advance

Carl

•   

• No, that's not true. Most hotfixes only fix one or two specific faults.

Service Packs are all 'inclusive'.

-SQLBill

• To build a server with SP3a and Hotfix 878, you just need to install SP3a and any APPLICABLE hotfixes that came out after SP3a.

-SQLBill

• Thanks for your help.

I didn't think they were cumulative but read somewhere that they supposedly were.

Carl

• Only Service Packs are cumulative.

• Guys,

I have just got back from holiday and have only just started looking into the Hotfixes situation again.

I found the following text on the following Microsoft web page:

Microsoft distributes Microsoft SQL Server 2000 fixes as one downloadable file. Because the fixes are cumulative, each new release contains all the hotfixes and all the security fixes that were included with the previous SQL Server 2000 fix release.

This now leads me to believe that Hotfixes are cumulative?

Regards

Carl
  • Also in the link:

This hotfix contains only those files that are required to correct the issues that this article lists. This hotfix may not contain of all the files that you must have to fully update a product to the latest build.

I agree with others; Service Packs are cumulative, and Hot Fixes are targeted. I suspect that if a hot fix is released for a problem, and then refined with a new hot fix, then the new fix is cumulative, and you only need to apply it to address that specific problem.

Hot Fixes are intended to get out a fix quickly to address a specific problem. Never apply a fix unless you are experiencing the problem because the hot fix undergoes less testing than a Service Pack.

• From experience the fixes generally now are cumulative post SP. So to goto 878 you need to install SP3a then 878. You cannot go to 878 without SP3a in any other manner.

• Most of the hotfixes that I have checked between 818 and 878 don't have downloads with them.

I thought that hotfixes were executable download files for fixing bugs?

There is so much conflicting evidence on whether the hotfixes are cumulative I don't know which to believe.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply