Server Low Performance

• Hi

I'm currently having a problem with my database and need your inputs. One of my Servers is running slow.

any inputs are highly appreciated.

Many Thanks

PROBLEM:

Platinum Server (SPSQL002) is running slow, sqlserver is consuming a constant of 40-60% (Peak and Off Peak hrs) CPU Usage and hit 100% from time to time. Disk Usage also hit 100% usage on one of the drives during peak hours.

CHECK ON:

System Performance:

Processor - %Processor time _total; -- constant 40-60% and goes 100% during peak hrs

Memory - Pages/sec: -- normal..

PhysicalDisk - %Disk Time _total -- running at 100% during peak hrs

Profiler Current -- seen .Net Data Provider consumes lots of CPU, Physical i/0 and duration

Activity (sysprocesses) -- almost 200 connected users

SERVER SPECS:

(4x) 3GHz Processor Speed

4GB Memory Capacity (3GB allotted to MS SQL)

Win 2000 SP4

MS SQL 7 SP4

ADDITIONAL POINTERS:

20G database and reside at one physical drive.

• Please rather post SQL 7 related questions in the SQL 7 and 2000 forum, rather than the SQL 2005 forum. Here you're going to get a lot of suggestions for things that don't work in SQL 7.

Start with profiler. Run during busy periods (I would recommend you use server-side trace events rather than the profiler GUI)

Good events to start with - T-SQL:Batch Completed and Stored Procedures:RPC completed

Save the trace somewhere once you've run it for a while and look for the queries that are taking longest, using the most CPU and/or doing the most reads.

Once you've indentified the culprits, have a look at them and see if you can see why they are slow. It will probably be one of:

Badly written queries

Poor indexing

Both

You can also look at moving the database's log file onto a separate physical disk. It may help a little.

What RAID level are you running on the drive?

Have you checked and confirmed that it is sqlservr.exe that's consuming the CPU?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • OPS.. Sorry.. try to repost this at sql 7 and 2000..

>>

server was newly turn over to me so i still dont have idea of what type of RAID they are using.. i'll check on that

not familiar with server-side trace events or how to use it.. (i'll try to find it out..)

i'm 100% sure its the sqlservr.exe that is consuming the CPU Usage.

BTW. all 4 processor are set to SQL..

thanks a lot Gila.. i've been reading some of your post/ replies, and its helping me a lot..:D

• Posted in wrong forum. Please direct replies to the following thread.

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic505583-65-1.aspx

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply