Server Auditing

• I am tasked with providing information about my entire SQL server farm (IP addresses, ports, version, blah, blah, blah) This is to find all the rogue servers, machines and license violations that my predecessor left behind. Getting the information was easy albeit time consuming.

After I created the job and formatted everything according to the specs, the higher ups asked that I provide the edition of SQL Server. Is there a list somewhere that contains the version and edition where I can just link the two together and be done with it? I found many sites with web pages on it but with over 500 machines with SQL server on them, I don't want to check and verify each version.

Somebody save me!

Thanks!

David

** Obstacles are those frightening things that appear

when we take our eyes off the goal. **

Kindest Regards,
    David

** Obstacles are those frightening things that appear when we take our eyes off the goal. **

• If you're asking for the edition (developer, enterprise, standard), that doesn't match with a version number at all. Steve's got a list here that matches versions with the build numbers (3042 = SP2, etc, etc)

Is that what you want? Doesn't quite sound like it to me.

If I've misunderstood, please explain a bit more what you're after.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Something like this?:

http://vyaskn.tripod.com/sqlsps.htm

• THat is correct. I have the build numbers (ie 8.00.194, 9.00.1399.06, 8.00.2040). I need to attach the correct Edition to my list but dont wanna go back and re-do this whole thing. Keep in mind that some build number include hotfixes, KB, etc. If you have that sort of list,can you share? The best list I have seen is at http://www.sqlsecurity.com/FAQs/SQLServerVersionDatabase/tabid/63/Default.aspx but it is not importable and does not include the EDITION!

Kindest Regards,
    David

** Obstacles are those frightening things that appear when we take our eyes off the goal. **

• What do you mean by edition?

RTM, SP1, SP2, CU4, ...

or

Developer, Express, Standard, Enterprise

Steve's build list is very comprehensive, though it doesn't contain every single KB that MS has ever released - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Administration/2960/

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• I need developer, standard,........

Kindest Regards,
    David

• When connected to the serer you can run:

Select ServerProperty('edition')

• As I said in the beginning...500 Server and I dont want to go through them all again. 😀

Kindest Regards,
    David

• What do you have the data stored in?

You can just do an SSIS package that loops through your server list and runs the query and updates a table.

If you have the data in Excel you can do a function in VBA that runs the query against each server.

• Also a nice tool for this can be SQLCMD

If you have an inventory table containing all your sqlserver instance names, you can run a script and save all results,....

Create a .bat file (dos) containing commands like this:

Sqlcmd -H %computername% -E -S yourservername\theInstance -d master -i "c:\yourscripttoberun.sql" -o "c:\yourresultpath_DBA_yourfunction.log"

Just query for all available serverproperties. (check bol)

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• UNfortunately, I am trying for the quick and lazy solution. Coding another solution is not my idea of fun to rehash work alreayd done. :: sigh ::

Kindest Regards,
    David

• David Paskiet (9/10/2008)

I need developer, standard,........

That's not in anyway related to the build number and cannot be derived from it. SQL 2005 RTM (for example) is build 9.00.1399 on dev, express, enterprise, standard and any other edition that exists.

Gail Shaw

• Unfortunately, sometimes you have to redo your work to get additional information. It happens all the tiome.

😎

• Tell me about it. It was worth a try.

Kindest Regards,
    David

• Why is it "unfortunately"? It is called job security.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply