SEM not showing databases or management stuff

• SQL2k Enterprise Edition with SP3a.

When I launch SQL Enterprise Manager to look at my SQL Server, it changes the icon to green which means it is communicating with the instance.  However, when I click to expand databases, I get the 'no items' message.  I get 0 items also when I try to expand the Management folder.  This happens with SEM on the server, and with 3 client machines so it isn't a problem with the SEM install.  I have 9 other SQL Servers and can connect just fine to them.

With Query Analyzer I can use sp_helpdb and seem to be able to do all commands normally and the databases are there, and I can manipulate data with them.  I can access this server via DTS also.

However, when I right-click a table in the Object Browser of Query Analyzer, I receive an error message: '[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Arithmetic overflow error for data type smallint, value = 33244.'

I have searched this site, Google and Google groups, and Microsoft's support and haven't found any clues. There was a discussion about the 'no items' in databases appearing if the guest account was deleted directly from the sysusers table, but all my databases still have that account.

Any ideas on what I try next?

Michelle

• Try to disconnect and connect again.

• I've tried that many times.  I have also deleted the registration and created it, same error.

Michelle

• I'm kind of grasping at straws here, but have you tried running dbcc checkdb on your master and msdb databases?

Steve

• Straws are all, I think, I have before the server gets formatted and I try again.  Unfortunately, there were no errors in either database.

I'd also thought that maybe it was the defaultdb that would be causing a problem.  But I created a new user with a different defaultdb than master and registered the server in SEM(SQL Enterprise Manager) and it still failed.

Thank you for taking the time to give me some ideas.

Michelle

• I'd reinstall SQL before doing a complete rebuild of the server.

Steve

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply