SELECT Into a Stored procedure

• Into a store procedure I want write a SELECT changing dynamically the name of table to select. I have used:

SELECT @punteggio = @punteggio + Punti from @TblProfessione WHERE ID = @professione

where @TblProfessione is the variable with the name of table to select but It's don't work

• You'll have to build the string dynamically and then execute it as one variable.

Here's a simplified version:

SET @VAREXEC = 'SELECT blah, blah, blah from '+ @TblProfessione + 'WHERE ID = 1'

EXEC (@VAREXEC)

Brian Knight

bknight@sqlservercentral.com

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/bknight

• yes, it'good but how can I read the value of variable @punteggio?

SET @VAREXEC = 'SELECT @punteggio = punti from '+ @TblProfessione + 'WHERE ID = 1'

EXEC (@VAREXEC)

@somma = @punteggio + ...

• Only way to get that value is to write it out to a table, either a permanent one or a global temp (use the ## prefix). One of the many reasons I prefer NOT to use Exec().

Andy

• I have solved my problem with sp_executesql.

Thank you for yuor help

• Taki, would you mind posting your final solution? Future readers will appreciate it!

Andy

• my solution is:

DECLARE @stringa nvarchar(4000) @parametri nvarchar(100)

DECLARE @punteggioSel smallint, @punteggioTot

SET CONCAT_NULL_YIELDS_NULL OFF

SET @stringa = @stringa + ' SELECT @punteggioInt = @punteggioInt + PuntiMaschio from ' + @TblEta + ' WHERE ID = ' + CAST (@eta AS VARCHAR(5))

SET @stringa = @stringa + ' SELECT @punteggioInt = @punteggioInt + Punti from ' + @TblProfessione + ' WHERE ID = '+ CAST (@professione AS VARCHAR(5))

SET @parametri = '@punteggioInt smallint output'

EXEC sp_executesql @stringa, @parametri, @punteggioSel output

SET @punteggioTot = @punteggioSel + ...

I had not posted it first because it's similar of the solution of the topic "Ident_current and Dynamic SQL" in this forum

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply