Select Data

• Hi Experts,

My problem is that i have a table containing 10 million records i want to import those data to text files .Am not able to do it as a whole so am planning to divide it something like 1million records in one file and another 1 million in another file like that.So how can i achieve the same.There is no column specifying number or something which is helpful in using between clause.

TIA

• Ratheesh.K.Nair (8/11/2008)

Hi Experts,

My problem is that i have a table containing 10 million records i want to import those data to text files .Am not able to do it as a whole so am planning to divide it something like 1million records in one file and another 1 million in another file like that.So how can i achieve the same.There is no column specifying number or something which is helpful in using between clause.

TIA

Write a simple C# application like

// modify the connection string

SqlConnection connection = new SqlConnection("Server=.;Database=tempdb;Trusted_Connection=True;");

SqlCommand command = connection.CreateCommand();

command.CommandText = "SELECT * FROM myVeryBigTable"; // <-- modify the query

connection.Open();

StreamWriter writer = null;

try

{

using (SqlDataReader reader = command.ExecuteReader())

{

string fileNameTemplate = @"C:\tmp\foo_{0}.txt"; // <-- Modify the file template

int rowCounter = 0;

int fileId = 0;

while (reader.Read())

{

if (rowCounter%1000000 == 0)

{

if (writer != null)

{

writer.Close();

}

writer = new StreamWriter(String.Format(fileNameTemplate, fileId++));

rowCounter = 0;

}

for (int i = 0; i < reader.FieldCount; i++)

{

writer.Write(reader.ToString()); // whatever format you want :)

writer.Write(",");

}

writer.WriteLine();

rowCounter++;

}

}

}

finally

{

connection.Dispose();

command.Dispose();

if(writer != null)

{

writer.Close();

}

}

Regards,

Andras

Andras Belokosztolszki, MCPD, PhD
    GoldenGate Software

• Or alternatively, you could set up an SSIS package to export "TOP 10000000 FROM " set an exported flag on these records and loop until the count on the query for the records to be exported is zero

I'm a DBA.
    I'm not paid to solve problems. I'm paid to prevent them.

• Thanks for the Reply,

Is there any way other than the above mentioned.Is it possible to use select statement using rownum or something like that??

• Ratheesh.K.Nair (8/12/2008)

Thanks for the Reply,

Is there any way other than the above mentioned.Is it possible to use select statement using rownum or something like that??

You can introduce a "virtual" row number by doing something like:

WITH orderedTable

AS ( SELECT row_number() OVER ( ORDER BY name ) AS nr

, *

FROM sys.all_columns

)

SELECT *

FROM orderedTable

WHERE nr >= 1000 AND nr < 2000

However, you will need to make sure that the OVER part you can specify something that will order the data in a deterministic way. (and hopefully order it fast!, so something like the clustered columns, if you cannot use that, then an index, ... ) You would need to execute this query a few times with different parameters. This is when the correct "OVER" part kicks in, I'm sure you would like to avoid a full table scan every time 🙂

Regards,

Andras

Andras Belokosztolszki, MCPD, PhD
    GoldenGate Software

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply