Select all tables from all databases using T-SQL

• Hi, any one can help me how to select all the tables from all the databases using t-sql?

I am trying like this joins:

Select d.name, t.tablename from sys.databases d inner join sys.tables t on t.db_id=d.db_id

but in sys.tables it wont retrieve db name or ID.

Can Some onehelp me??

• how about his:

exec sp_MSForEachdb 'SELECT ''?'' as DBName, ?.dbo.sysobjects.name AS TableName from ?.dbo.sysobjects WHERE ?.dbo.sysobjects.xtype=''U'''

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• You can either use {DB_Name}.INFORMATION_SCHEMA.TABLES or create a view like this:

CREATE View vwAllTables as

Select 'DBOne' as [DatabaseName], * From [DatabaseOne].sys.Tables

UNION ALL Select 'DBTwo' as [DatabaseName], * From [DatabaseOne].sys.Tables

UNION ALL Select 'DBThree' as [DatabaseName], * From [DatabaseOne].sys.Tables

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• This will do what you want:

declare @a nvarchar(max)

select

@a = isnull(@a+N' union all ',N'')+

'

select [Database] = convert(sysname,'''+a.name+

'''), [Table] = a.name collate SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS from '+

quotename(a.name)+'.sys.tables a

'

from

sys.databases a

exec ( @a+ ' order by 1,2' )

Results:

Database Table

AdventureWorks Address

AdventureWorks AddressType

AdventureWorks AWBuildVersion

AdventureWorks BillOfMaterials

AdventureWorks Contact

• Thank you very much.

This is what i need.

Great work!!! Thanks 🙂

Can u pls explain how this works? Because we are using different collations. Why we have to mention the collation details?

• Hi,

It's good query, but it not works in SQL 2000

Is there any query, which will give the same outpur and can use in SQL 2000

• Hi Kailash,

In 2000,

Use the information_schema.tables to get the table list with in DB,

For all DB

Try this

DECLARE ALLDB CURSOR FOR

SELECT name FROM master.dbo.sysdatabases WHERE dbid > 4

OPEN ALLDB

DECLARE @Stmt NVARCHAR(100)

DECLARE @DB NVARCHAR(10)

FETCH NEXT FROM ALLDB INTO @DB

WHILE (@@FETCH_STATUS = 0)

BEGIN

SET @Stmt = N'USE ' + @DB + CHAR(13)+

N'SELECT * FROM information_schema.tables'

EXEC sp_executesql @Stmt

FETCH NEXT FROM ALLDB INTO @DB

END

CLOSE ALLDB

DEALLOCATE ALLDB

ARUN SAS

• Kailash Mishra (4/10/2009)

Hi,

You can use the View trick in SQL 2000 also. Just change the target table names from "{DatabaseName1}.sys.tables" to "{DatabaseName1}.dbo.sysobjects Where type = 'U'".

Note: there is a limit to how many different databases you can include in one view/query and that limit is lower for SQL Server 2000 (though I cannot recall exactly what they are).

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    [/font]

• Hi

Since your count of databases is not too much you can use a VARCHAR(8000) and Barry's suggestion to use the INFORMATION_SCHEMA.TABLES:

DECLARE @sql VARCHAR(8000)

SELECT @sql = CASE WHEN @sql IS NULL

THEN 'SELECT '

ELSE @sql + 'UNION ALL SELECT ' END +

'''' + name + ': '', TABLE_NAME FROM ' + name + '.INFORMATION_SCHEMA.TABLES' +

CHAR(13) + CHAR(10)

FROM sysdatabases

EXECUTE (@sql)

If VARCHAR(8000) is too small for the dynamic SQL statement you can still use Lowell's solution with the sp_msforeachdb and fill a temp table with the information.

Greets

Flo

• Kailash Mishra (4/10/2009)

Hi,

the query i posted will work in all versions; in SQL7/2000 sysobjects is a table, but in sql2005/2008, it is a view, but exists in all versions.

exec sp_MSForEachdb 'SELECT ''?'' as DBName, ?.dbo.sysobjects.name AS TableName from ?.dbo.sysobjects WHERE ?.dbo.sysobjects.xtype=''U'''

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Florian Reischl (4/10/2009)

Hi

Since your count of databases is not too much you can use a VARCHAR(8000) and Barry's suggestion to use the INFORMATION_SCHEMA.TABLES:

Unfortunately Flo, the INFORMATION_SCHEMA views do not work cross-database in SQL Server 2000. You don't get an error, but you always get the view back for your current database. So they will only work with the USE statement.

[/font]

• RBarryYoung (4/10/2009)

Florian Reischl (4/10/2009)

Hi

Unfortunately Flo, the INFORMATION_SCHEMA views do not work cross-database in SQL Server 2000. You don't get an error, but you always get the view back for your current database. So they will only work with the USE statement.

Using it cross database works OK for me on SQL 2000.

use tempdb

select tempdb_tables = table_name

from

information_schema.tables

select pubs_tables = table_name

from

pubs.information_schema.tables

Results:

tempdb_tables

-----------------------

sysconstraints

syssegments

(2 row(s) affected)

pubs_tables

-----------------------

authors

discounts

dtproperties

employee

jobs

pub_info

publishers

roysched

sales

stores

sysconstraints

syssegments

titleauthor

titles

titleview

Florian Reischl (4/10/2009)

Hi

Hi Barry!

Thanks for your feedback!

Usually if you disagree with my suggestions I know that I'm wrong ;-). But in this case I tried twice on my small SS2k test server. It works fine (since there are not too much databases and VARCHAR(8000) is enough ).

Greets

Flo

PS: Already noticed the questions about your "complete dark side" in the other thread! 😀

• Hmm (scratches head). Well, I must be misremembering then. Sorry.

[/font]

Hmm (scratches head). Well, I must be misremembering then. Sorry.

Don't say sorry! Thank you for the feedback and all the help in other threads! 🙂

Greets

Flo

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply