script categories

• First I'd like to say that I use SQLServerCentral as my second brain.  I almost never start writing an SP or function without checking the script library and/or articles first.  I've come to love this site and want to help make it better.  So, I'd like to suggest some changes with the script library.

I realize that it is basically organized according to the categories that an author selects.  I think this is a good thing.  However, when you are just reviewing all the scripts (yes, it's been a very slow day!) the duplication between categories can get very annoying.

Can you add an 'All' category?

I'd also like to see the collection edited/organized and provide more categories based on methods used in the script (SQL-DMO/T-SQL/VBScript) and/or grouped according to function (i.e. I saw a bunch of different scripts relating to job management/monitoring.)

It might also be interesting to take all the scripts for a particular or related task and review/critique the different approaches to the same problem and then give the winners a "SQLServerCentral-Best Choice" type flag added.

I've suggested this before but I'll throw it out here again.  Make the text of the scripts searchable.  i.e. when you search for 'xp_fixeddrives' it will pull up every script containing that SP.  It would also be nice to be able to search on 'xp_'.  Since you use Google to do the site searching it leaves out partial word searches.

I'd be happy to help out with any of these or any other suggestions.

Cheers,

Brendan Bartlett

"I met Larry Niven at ConClave 27...AND I fixed his computer. How cool is that?"
    (Memoirs of a geek)

• Good suggestions. We're fighting the bugs with the change in the forums, but these are good ideas for when we convert the rest of the site to ASP.NET. They make sense and we'll hopefully get them implemented before too long.

• yea, I'm a little confused. I used to love looking at all the different scripts in the different categories and now I can't seem to find the index of them anywhere. It's very cumbersome unless you are doing a direct search for something. I used to love to just look through the different categories from the main page of script categories. Now I have to click on different scripts that may have a similar category and then click the category in there. Why was it changed?

• I've noticed that it's been replaced with tags, but the tags will return stuff for everything for that tag. Don't really see a way to filter just for scripts (or articles or forum topics or whatever else you may want to filter on.)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply