Scheduling DTS package in SQL Server 2005

• Hi,

I have sql server 2005 on which in legacy folder there are DTS packages which are transfered from SQL server 2000.

I am trying to schedule it by creating new job and as type opearting system(cmdexec).

In command i am trying to generate command from dtexecui utility, but this utility doesnot showing any DTS package when I am going to select package name in this utility.

What mistake I am doing

Thanks

Rajneesh

• Are these packages migrated from DTS(2000) to SSIS (2005 - .dtsx)?

-Vikas Bindra

• Hi Vikas,

All DTS are in Legacy folder in sql server 2005 as DTS packages and I do not have to convert those into SSIS packages

• dtexecui only works for SSIS packages. You have to have the dtsrunui utility to generate DTSRUN commands. If you have an SQL 2000 installation, you should be able to find the .exe.

Greg

• You need to install the Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Backward Compatibility Components. This download includes the necessary DTS runtime objects. If you want to maintain your DTS packages within SQL Server 2005 Management Studio you will also need to install the Microsoft SQL Server 2000 DTS Designer Components. Make sure you reapply the latest SQL Server service pack after installing either of these packages.

• May I know what will happen if I don't re-apply the Service Pack ?

Now, I have a problem :

Agent Job : running a SQL 2000 DTS in SQL 2005, stand-alone SQL 2005 : ok, Failover cluster 2005, failed.

I don't know whether it is related to re-apply Service Pack.

Or do I need to apply SQL 2005 Service Pack 3 (now I am using SP2) ?

• The problem on the Failover node is not due to a service pack.

DTS (and SSIS) are not cluster-aware. This means you have to manually install these components on all nodes of the cluster, and manually copy the DTS packages to all nodes of the cluster.

If you put the DTS packages on a disk that is failed over by anothe component, you can save some manual effort in keeping your package library up-to-date. However, the DTS program files must be installed to disks that are local to each node.

There are some other forum postings about this subject. Try Google to find them as there is some good advice to be found.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply