sa password

• Hi Guys,

What are the implications for changing the sa password?

Regards

IC

• That completely depends on your environment. For example, we have a server environment where some 3rd party apps are running that need 'sa' log-in in order to operate (can I please have five minutes alone with those developers, a blow torch, some pliers and a sledge hammer?) so changing it on a machine like that would have HUGE implications. We also have several server's where applications developed by our in-house development team (smart guys) don't require anything more than the access they're given within a particular database. There, the only thing affected by changing the sa password would be my fellow dba's. We generally don't use this login anymore on most of our servers.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Must be a CRM application!

We had one like that at my previous job, all it needed was to be able to create tables in it's own database, but the geniouses that made it checked to see if the login was actualy 'sa' instead of checking permissions.  I was thinking more along the lines of tar and feathers.

• Then you sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. I'm neither. Pass the hammer please.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply