Run .sql files from SSMQ

• Is there a way to run .sql files from the SSMS query window thru a command, similar to the Oracle '@' sign operator?

I've researched using Powershell for this. I can certainly right click an object, open Powershell then use a cumbersome command to run the script, but I might as well just open the .sql file thru SSMS and 'Execute'.

I thought that I could run something like:

PS1: <cmd>

from the query window but cannot find any reference to this now.

Ultimately, I'd like to run some pre-developed queries that I've placed in .sql files, such as the following (overly simplified) example without leaving the command line:

select name from sys.databases

EDIT: Title should read "Run .sql files from SSMS"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sacramento SQL Server users group - http://sac.sqlpass.org
    Follow me on Twitter - @SQLDCH
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, well...The Dude abides.
  • You can turn on SQLCMD mode which will allow you to use SQLCMD syntax. The one I think you are looking for is:

:r filename

That will load the SQLCMD code in the filename and once a batch terminator is found, execute the code.

More information on this is available in Books Online under the topic SQLCMD Mode.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply