RS 2008 internet facing deployment across 3 servers: Any caveats/advice?

• Folks,

As part of an eCommerce solution my client requires an install over 3 tiers with the following structure:

Presentation Layer

Reports Manager for admin reporting

ReportViewer (in MVC Controller) for Business Clients authenticated via membership.

Middle Tier

Reporting Services WebService

Data Tier

ReportServer DB's

Can anyone who has successfully used the above configuration or something similar give any advice on the implementation?

I have tried to dissuade the client from going down this (internet facing RS) route, but to no avail.

I am particularly interested on the security options e.g. how have you used networkcredentials with the reports webservice for membership authenticated users coming in from the presentation layer.

Thank you

Mick

• Presentation Layer

Reports Manager for admin reporting

ReportViewer (in MVC Controller) for Business Clients authenticated via membership.

Middle Tier

Reporting Services WebService

Data Tier

ReportServer DB's

I don't see an issue with it but the middle tier is redundant because all the reports can be loaded into ReportViewer control.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• Thanks Gift,

So you would recommend only using the presentation layer (report manager and WS) and the DB layer. Problem is the infrastructure folks are unhappy about direct connections between the presentation layer and the DB layer.

• mick L (9/6/2010)

Thanks Gift,

So you would recommend only using the presentation layer (report manager and WS) and the DB layer. Problem is the infrastructure folks are unhappy about direct connections between the presentation layer and the DB layer.

You can use Enterprise Library for your data access layer that will separate your application from the database layer. It also makes your data access simple.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• You can use Enterprise Library for your data access layer that will separate your application from the database layer. It also makes your data access simple.

Use enterprise library where? The reporting services WS will talk directly to the reporting DB ,from either presentation to db layer, or middle tier to db layer. I am trying to decide which tier is best.

I want to leverage the reporting services server components. I already have a stop-gap system in place using report viewers against MVC controllers which in turn use Linq2Sql. Its not maintainable enough for a reporting solution.

• mick L (9/6/2010)

You can use Enterprise Library for your data access layer that will separate your application from the database layer. It also makes your data access simple.

Use enterprise library where? The reporting services WS will talk directly to the reporting DB ,from either presentation to db layer, or middle tier to db layer. I am trying to decide which tier is best.

I want to leverage the reporting services server components. I already have a stop-gap system in place using report viewers against MVC controllers which in turn use Linq2Sql. Its not maintainable enough for a reporting solution.

You could use Enterprise Library instead of LINQ2SQL, and load all your RDL in ReportVeiwer Web without the crude SSRS web service. So both SSRS and Asp.net talk to the database through Enterprise Library. The only issue is Enterprise Library require C drive install when we used it.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply