Ex

Units Desired Result

0.3 0.3

0.1 0.1

1.4 1.4

1.5 2

1.7 2

0.8 1

I tried round(units,2) and also round(units,0) but in both cases I do not get the desired result

Thanks in advance

• ntreelevel (8/3/2016)

Hi ALL,

I have a situation where I should round a col in a table

Ex

Units Desired Result

0.3 0.3

0.1 0.1

1.4 1.4

1.5 2

1.7 2

0.8 1

I tried round(units,2) and also round(units,0) but in both cases I do not get the desired result

Thanks in advance

Maybe something like this:

CREATE TABLE #Test(

Units decimal(10,5),

DesiredResult decimal(10,5),

);

INSERT INTO #Test SELECT

0.3, 0.3 UNION ALL SELECT

0.1, 0.1 UNION ALL SELECT

1.4, 1.4 UNION ALL SELECT

1.5, 2 UNION ALL SELECT

1.7, 2 UNION ALL SELECT

0.8, 1;

SELECT *,

CASE WHEN ROUND(Units,0) = ROUND(Units,0,1)

THEN Units ELSE ROUND(Units,0)

END

FROM #Test

GO

DROP TABLE #Test

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • The ANSI/ISO standards define rounding as "implementation defined", so you have to be careful. Google scientific versus commercial rounding (I prefer this because it is more "set oriented" than "single value").

Books in Celko Series for Morgan-Kaufmann Publishing
    Analytics and OLAP in SQL
    Data and Databases: Concepts in Practice
    Data, Measurements and Standards in SQL
    SQL for Smarties
    SQL Programming Style
    SQL Puzzles and Answers
    Thinking in Sets
    Trees and Hierarchies in SQL

• CELKO (8/15/2016)

The ANSI/ISO standards define rounding as "implementation defined", so you have to be careful. Google scientific versus commercial rounding (I prefer this because it is more "set oriented" than "single value").

Anyone for a discussion on "Bankers Rounding"? ;-):-P:-D:-)

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Me! Me! 😛 But which one? There have been:

1) go up or down from "x5" alternating.

2) go up or down from "x5" in a uniform random distribution.

3) go up or down from "x5" based on a Bayesian algorithm

SQL for Smarties
    SQL Programming Style
    SQL Puzzles and Answers
    Thinking in Sets

• Hi all, Thank you for the answers but I figured out that using a case statements for custom rounding is the best way and it worked out

• ntreelevel (8/16/2016)

Hi all, Thank you for the answers but I figured out that using a case statements for custom rounding is the best way and it worked out

Do you mean like what I posted? Or something else? If it's something else, would you mind sharing with everyone?

Excuse Jeff and Joe. Rounding is more complicated than it seems and they have a lot of experience that they want to share. It might not look relevant to your problem, but it could certainly be interesting.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

• CELKO (8/15/2016)

Me! Me! 😛 But which one? There have been:

1) go up or down from "x5" alternating.

2) go up or down from "x5" in a uniform random distribution.

3) go up or down from "x5" based on a Bayesian algorithm

No, please. The last time we ended up with two threads and a lot flames.

• Jeff Moden (8/15/2016)

CELKO (8/15/2016)

The ANSI/ISO standards define rounding as "implementation defined", so you have to be careful. Google scientific versus commercial rounding (I prefer this because it is more "set oriented" than "single value").

Anyone for a discussion on "Bankers Rounding"? ;-):-P:-D:-)

hahaha, yes the default methodology of the ROUND function of the old VB6... which didn't match what Excel did by default. Learned about rounding algorithms that day I did. 🙂

• I used to be a statistician in a former life, but I do not remember ever seeing a really good book/paper/magazine article on all the problems of rounding! Usually all we got was a little note about scientific versus commercial and that was it!

Anyone know of such a thing, that goes into a little more theory and justification than just telling us how this particular product or industry does things?

SQL for Smarties
    SQL Programming Style
    SQL Puzzles and Answers
    Thinking in Sets

• When I started writing code as far back as 1969, the accepted method was to add 5 to one place to the right of the desired result length and then truncate. Thus, for example, to round to cents ( two decimal places ), we added .005 (three decimal places) to any number of decimals and then truncated. In SQL you can do that fairly easily if you variables are defined correctly.

123.4567 123.4467

.0050 .0050

----------- -----------

123.4617 123.4517

when truncated, become:

123.46 123.45

Can't get the columns to align here , but you can get the idea anyway

Rick
    Disaster Recovery = Backup ( Backup ( Your Backup ) )

• ntreelevel (8/16/2016)

Hi all, Thank you for the answers but I figured out that using a case statements for custom rounding is the best way and it worked out

Would you post your code, please? It might be a help to others that happen upon this thread. At the very least, I'm interested in seeing what you came up with.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• skeleton567 (8/16/2016)

When I started writing code as far back as 1969, the accepted method was to add 5 to one place to the right of the desired result length and then truncate. Thus, for example, to round to cents ( two decimal places ), we added .005 (three decimal places) to any number of decimals and then truncated. In SQL you can do that fairly easily if you variables are defined correctly.

123.4567 123.4467

.0050 .0050

----------- -----------

123.4617 123.4517

when truncated, become:

123.46 123.45

Can't get the columns to align here , but you can get the idea anyway

This was the traditional scientific method. The traditional commercial method was to look for things at five and alternately round them up or down, as the sequential processing of a deck of punch cards or Mac tape pass through your accounting system. The assumption was that, on the average, any error would be as likely to go up or down so this method would not skew in one direction or another.

Then we found out – aargh! – That some processes are skewed by nature. This meant we had to un-skew them when we got the data and put it in the database. This is when we started using beige and statistics in the rounding. In 25 words or less, the beige and model is to take a sample and assume that it is representative of the whole population. Then we use feedback to correct things that were looking at ("the best predictor of future behavior is past behavior" – statisticians proverb).

This gets even worse with floating-point math. One of the things I tell people to do in one of my books is to generate a column of random positive and negative floating-point numbers, and to sum() on it. Then sort it from high to low and re-add it; sort from low to high; sort the absolute values from low to high; sort the absolute values from high to low. Now look at the results and pay attention to the last decimal places. They will all be a little different.

SQL for Smarties
    SQL Programming Style
    SQL Puzzles and Answers
    Thinking in Sets

• This is the custom case statement that I used

case when (units - floor(units)) < 0.49 then round(units,2)

when (units - floor(units)) > = 0.50 then round(units,0)

end

• ntreelevel (8/17/2016)

This is the custom case statement that I used

case when (units - floor(units)) < 0.49 then round(units,2)

when (units - floor(units)) > = 0.50 then round(units,0)

end

You're missing values. If you have a value like N.49 it will return a NULL value.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply