Returning too many rows....

• What I am trying to do here is a little weird, but this is what my client wants.  I have a table of roofs and a capital expenditure table associated with the roofs table.  They want every roof to be returned with the next occuring cap exp and that date.  My problem is if there are more than one cap exp I am getting both returned.  How do I get only the first one to return?  I have tried top 1, but that only returns the very first roof not the first occurance, and I have tried distinct on the roofid, but that doesnt' work either.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

select tblroofs.roofid, cap.estimatedcost as CapCost, cap.estimateddate

from tblcapitalexpenditures as cap RIGHT OUTER JOIN  tblroofs

on cap.RoofID = tblRoofs.RoofID

Where [tblRoofs].[CompanyID] = @CompanyID

and datepart(yyyy, cap.estimateddate) >= datepart(yyyy, dateadd(yyyy, 1, getdate()))

group by tblroofs.RoofID, cap.estimatedcost, cap.estimateddate

example of what is being returned and I only want the first 1115 to be returned:

1095   36800.00     2008-01-01 00:00:00.000

1096   219450.00    2008-01-01 00:00:00.000

1115   29500.00     2005-01-01 00:00:00.000 

1115   110700.00   2008-01-01 00:00:00.000

• hey egnagey,

try adding the following HAVING clause to your SQL to see if that is what you are looking for:

SELECT

tblroofs.roofid, cap.estimatedcost as CapCost, cap.estimateddate

FROM

tblcapitalexpenditures as cap RIGHT OUTER JOIN  tblroofs ON cap.RoofID = tblRoofs.RoofID

WHERE

[tblRoofs].[CompanyID] = @CompanyID AND

DATEPART(yyyy, cap.estimateddate) >= DATEPART(yyyy, DATEADD(yyyy, 1, GETDATE()))

GROUP BY

tblroofs.RoofID, cap.estimatedcost, cap.estimateddate

HAVING

cap.estimateddate = MIN(cap.estimateddate)

JP

• JP, the HAVING clause has no effect in this query, because the estimateddate is part of the GROUP BY clause (and the MIN function is evaluated for each group and, of course, each group has only one date).

I think the query should be written like this:

SELECT r.roofid, c1.estimatedcost as CapCost, c1.estimateddate
    FROM tblcapitalexpenditures c1
    INNER JOIN tblroofs r ON c1.RoofID = r.RoofID
    WHERE r.CompanyID = @CompanyID AND YEAR(cap.estimateddate)> YEAR(GETDATE())+1
    AND c1.estimateddate = (
     SELECT MIN(c2.estimateddate) FROM tblcapitalexpenditures c2
     WHERE c1.RoofID = c2.RoofID
    )

I have replaced the outer join with an inner join because an outer join seems unnecessary to me. If it is really needed (if it is possible that a "roof" has no "capital expenditures" and you want that "roof" selected), the query would be:

SELECT r.roofid, c1.estimatedcost as CapCost, c1.estimateddate
    FROM tblcapitalexpenditures c1
    RIGHT JOIN tblroofs r ON c1.RoofID = r.RoofID
    WHERE r.CompanyID = @CompanyID AND YEAR(cap.estimateddate)> YEAR(GETDATE())+1
    AND (c1.estimateddate IS NULL OR c1.estimateddate = (
     SELECT MIN(c2.estimateddate) FROM tblcapitalexpenditures c2
     WHERE c1.RoofID = c2.RoofID
    ))

Razvan

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply