Retrieve specific cell value from Excel into SSIS variable

• Hi all,

I'm experiencing a very frustrating issue. I am using the guide below to read a cell value in Excel into a SSIS variable;

http://www.techbrothersit.com/2013/11/ssis-read-excel-cell-value-in-ssis.html

It works very well for anything but a cell that has a date in it! I have tried to change the data type of the SSIS variable to everything possible but it still doesn't work, and I keep getting this error message;

An error occured while assigning a value to variable "ValuationDate": "Unsupported data type on result set binding 0"

The cell I am trying to read is B4, and the SQL Statement I am using in the Execute SQL Task is SELECT * FROM [Sheet1$B4:B5]. I am happy this is correct because if I change the value in B4 to anything that isn't a date, it works.

Please help!!

• murtzd (12/17/2015)

Hi all,

I'm experiencing a very frustrating issue. I am using the guide below to read a cell value in Excel into a SSIS variable;

http://www.techbrothersit.com/2013/11/ssis-read-excel-cell-value-in-ssis.html

It works very well for anything but a cell that has a date in it! I have tried to change the data type of the SSIS variable to everything possible but it still doesn't work, and I keep getting this error message;

An error occured while assigning a value to variable "ValuationDate": "Unsupported data type on result set binding 0"

The cell I am trying to read is B4, and the SQL Statement I am using in the Execute SQL Task is SELECT * FROM [Sheet1$B4:B5]. I am happy this is correct because if I change the value in B4 to anything that isn't a date, it works.

Please help!!

What data types have you tried for the SSIS 'ValuationDate' variable?

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence
    - Martin Rees
    The absence of consumable DDL, sample data and desired results is, however, evidence of the absence of my response
    - Phil Parkin

• All of them! (some are obviously not fit for purpose but I had to try because of no other option)

• OK, then I am not sure I can help.

As Excel holds dates as integers (try formatting your date as 'General' and you will see what I mean), I would have expected you to be able to import to an I4 variable.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence
    - Martin Rees
    The absence of consumable DDL, sample data and desired results is, however, evidence of the absence of my response
    - Phil Parkin

• That is the main problem. I need to read this value into SSIS to eliminate any manual intervention on the Excel file itself. The file gets imported into a folder overnight after which the SSIS process imports it into the database. If I was to manually change the Excel file, this automated process would be impossible.

The value in the Excel cell is formatted as a Date. I would have thought it was straightforward to have it imported into a SSIS variable that was of datatype Datetime or even String 🙁

• Anyone? 🙁

• :unsure:

• when you have added date column in the excel, Is the date column is show left align data or right aligned ?

• It's right aligned (although it doesn't actually show the right aligned button as being selected) and bottom aligned..

• i never recommend reading excel like this. if you want to read excel and want to avoid such issues you should be using script task in which you can write c#/vb.net code of your liking and get any kind of data you want. you will always get the date issue in your current working.

something like this

• Ok thanks. I'll give this route a go!

• I agree with twin.devil

but I use vba in Excel. Search google like

"vba insert sql excel"

• I tried to google VBA solutions, but because I am a total novice when it comes to VBA, I couldn't make any headway at all.

Can anyone give me a starter please?

• have you tried storing the date value in the table then converting it to correct datatype ?

SQL 2000/2005/2008/2012 DBA - MCTS/MCITP

• I don't understand what you mean? What table?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply