Restricting import possibilities

• Dear all,

We are using sql 7.0. Many people agree it is the best way to have data on one location; they agreed to link to the tables. That is what we wanted.

What happens right now is that a growing number of users is importing huge tables on a frequent base. This is what we would like to restrict.

Linking tables would be the only way to use sql server and not importing. For example ms-access is used to import.

Is there a way to restrict the import functionality on the client or the sql server.

Thanks for your help.

John

dba

Edited by - sand-lakes1 on 05/08/2002 02:06:55 AM

• I know of no way to restrict the size of the import as there is no governor for that ability.

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

• The only way I can think of is to make some utility that will execute BCP or a DTS package and set a row end there. For a data import, you can specify the last row, so you could limit it that way.

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

• Assuming its in a transaction, you could set a trigger to rollback any insert over x rows! Or maybe only give them insert on a staging table so you can control what gets loaded into production tables?

Andy

• Thanks for your help so far. Only problem which occurs is imports (from sql server)into ms_access running on users workstations.

As we decided to decrease the use of local tables we would like to have a block possibility in order to give people only the linked table(s) possibility within ms-access.

Also this reduces network traffic, local ms-access applications.

If anyone has an answer or could help I would be very thankfull.

John

• So yuor trying to stop them from importing to Access not SQL. In that case setup a workgroup where only a logged in admin has rights to make changes to the database and hide everything they don't need access to from their view so they cannot do this (which the workgroup should block if setup right). About the only way I can think to do.

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

• How about a read-only Application Role?

Check out "How to create an application role" and "Establishing Application Security and Application Roles" in BOL.

--------------------
    Colt 45 - the original point and click interface

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply