Restore SQL6.5 db backup to SQL2000 db

• Hi there

I've received a (.DAT)file containing a sql 6.5 db backup. My intention is to restore this to SQL 7 then upgrade this to SQL 2000.

Problem: SQL 7 restore doesn't recognise the backup format of file.

Question: Given that I don't have access to the original SQL 6.5 machine and have only this file, Is there a way to move this to SQL7 OR is there a smarter way to move directly to SQL 2000?

appreciate any help here Thks

• Not sure if you can upgrade a v6.5 backup. Here's what I'd do. Get a copy of the v6.5 software, install it on a machine (separate) and restore it. Then I'd try to run the across-the-wire upgrade.

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

• That makes sense - I dont think there is a way to upgrade without having 6.5 installed.

Andy

• From 6.5 to 7 is a complete rewrite of SQL server and that is why you cannot use the old backup files. Since 2k is a further exstension of 7 you therfore cannot do to 2k as well. You will have to restore to a 6.5 server which means you have to have all the details of file growth and the master databse as well as serveral dozen other things that I forget off hand that made 6.5 a beast to restore in the first place and the reason backup was rewritten in itself.

• Hi there & thks for the input!

Problem resolved.

I found & installed SQL 6.5 on a machine

Restored the database to SQL 6.5

From a SQL 2000 Enterprise Manager on I created a new DB on the SQL2000 server, registered the SQL 6.5 server and DTS'ed the tables to the new db. It was mainly the data I needed to extract.

Thks again

• Glad you found what you needed.

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply