Resource Utilization

• Hi All,

I recently joined this organization as a Developer/DBA. There are many trivial things that needed attention but this one stands out because this is the Production database server.

This server has atleast 50 databases including the ones used by Project Server and Sharepoint Server on a single instance. About 8 application databases share this instance and some of them even have their test environment databases residing here too.

My primary recommendation was to get a separate server for some of the applications and as expected that got written off. So my next best guess would be to install atleast another instance on the same server and move some of the application databases there but again scale up the server in terms of Memory, Disk & Processors. The management is also asking me about options to scale down and move them to a VM.

I do not know if this is the right place to post this but it would be awfully helpful if someone could guide me through this scenario. I'm sure many of you would have come across this situation, so your valuable advices and any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks again in advance

• is the server running out of CPU/RAM, etc? if you can, i would first buy more disk to split up the I/O if it hasn't been done yet

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply