ReportServer move...

• SQL Server 2016 standard edition. Not a well experienced database administrator but not a newbie. I want to move our user application database mdf and ldf files to separate drives. Everything in that regard is pretty straight forward, take databases offline, run the alter statement, then bring everything back online.

My concern, ReportServer. We want to move this as well.  How do you handle that? It's a service. Uninstall and reinstall the service? Should you take ReportServer and ReportServerTempDB offline? Alter statement?

This has me very concerned, any comments / URLs are appreciated. Thank you.

• It's actually the same process as normal databases, just make sure your Report Server service can still reach the SAME instance it was configured with.

Report Server service doesn't handle the database any different than normal applications.

The process should be:

Stop SSRS Service

Do your data file movement process

Start SSRS Service

As long as your SQL Server instance is the SAME and your Report Server Service points to that instance there should be no issues.

Make sure that you have all your encryption keys and your passwords.

Greetings.

• Moving application databases went pretty straight forward today. We moved MDF/LDF files to two new drives.  Ran the alter script and we were done.  Brought everything back online.

While that was successful, there was a a downside, we were told to keep the original files on the old location.  There was a lot of pressure to get this done as soon as possible.  And if there was an issue, get the system back up with the databases pointing to the files at the old location (and leave them).  That was a first.

Databases are mapped properly to the new locations. Checked via SSMS as well as querying the sys.master_files, they are good.  Is there a downside to having the old files on the server (aside from using up storage)? Personally I want gone,  Comments / URLs are appreciated.

Thank you.

• No, there's no downside besides the one you said, using up storage.

They should be gone actually, these won't be helpful unless you don't have your back ups up to date and these are the only thing that will help you recover, there's just outdated data.

• Good, I'll delete as soon as I get the go ahead.  Thank you for helping out.

Much Appreciated!

• You are welcome.

Thanks for the feedback and letting us know everything went well.

Greetings.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply