Reporting services and IIF

• I have the following IIF statement converted from an  Excel IF in a textbox expression for a Report field .

= IIF(Fields!Hazard.Value >=19 AND Fields!Hazard.Value <=76

AND

(Fields!Complience.Value <=11),"Excellent", "OOH OOH")

It works fine in Excel (the syntax is different) but in the reporting services report if the Complience .value = 15 it evaluates to True "Excellent" which is wrong!!

If the Complience .value is =0 it evaluates true " Excellent" which is correct or If the Complience .value is = 25 or 30 or 40 or 50  it evaluates as false "OHH OHH" which is also correct.

The complience field is a calculated field the sum of four other field values.

I have The following nested  IIF working correctly

= IIF((Fields!Hazard.Value >=0

AND Fields!Hazard.Value <=19 AND(Fields!Complience.Value<41)),"Sat1",IIF((Fields!Hazard.Value >=19 AND Fields!Hazard.Value <=64) AND((Fields!Complience.Value>11 AND Fields!Complience.Value <36)),"Sat2", IIF((Fields!Hazard.Value >=64 AND Fields!Hazard.Value <=79) AND(Fields!Complience.Value<21),"Sat3", IIF((Fields!Hazard.Value >79 ) AND((Fields!Complience.Value>11 AND Fields!Complience.Value <16)),"Sat4","uughhh"))))

I can not for the life of me work out why the first simple IIF will not work

Can any of you advise me

• You wrote:

I have the following IIF statement converted from an Excel IF in a textbox expression for a Report field .

= IIF(Fields!Hazard.Value >=19 AND Fields!Hazard.Value <=76

AND(Fields!Complience.Value <=11),"Excellent", "OOH OOH")

-- just a shot in the dark here, but why are there parentheses around the Fields!Complience... clause? What happens when you remove them?

• taking steve's question a little further, maybe you intended the parentheses to be around the Hazard value checks, like

= IIF((Fields!Hazard.Value >=19 AND Fields!Hazard.Value <=76)

AND Fields!Complience.Value <=11,"Excellent", "OOH OOH")

Steve.

• Thanks guys,  but unfortunatly neither removing all the extra parentheses  nor  just using them around the Hazard value checks  make it work.  

• If you bracket "everything" does it work?

= IIF(((Fields!Hazard.Value >=19 AND Fields!Hazard.Value <=76)

AND

(Fields!Complience.Value <=11)),"Excellent", "OOH OOH")

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Normal chaos will be resumed as soon as possible. :crazy:

• Bracket "everything" does not work either.

I have just noticed that the other nested IIf

= IIF((Fields!Hazard.Value >=0 AND Fields!Hazard.Value <=19 AND(Fields!Complience.Value<41)),"Sat1",IIF((Fields!Hazard.Value >=19 AND Fields!Hazard.Value <=64) AND((Fields!Complience.Value>11 AND Fields!Complience.Value <36)),"Sat2", IIF((Fields!Hazard.Value >=64 AND Fields!Hazard.Value <=79) AND(Fields!Complience.Value<21),"Sat3", IIF((Fields!Hazard.Value >79 ) AND((Fields!Complience.Value>11 AND Fields!Complience.Value <16)),"Sat4","uughhh"))))

also evaluates incorrectly (false) for the same values that is

Hazard= 35 and Complience = 15

Is there a property setting that the field needs in order for it to recognise  it as a number ? It seems very odd that these expressions work for every value except when Complience = 15

• What happens when you compare (Fields!Complience.Value + 0) > 11, for a value of 15?

• Hi,

Not much comfort here i'm afraid.

I built a table in Access, 2 columns Long Int Hazard and Compliance

I then entered the following data

TBL_TEST
    HazardCompliance

I then built a query

SELECT IIf([Hazard]>=19 And [Hazard]<=76 And [Compliance]<=11,"Excellent","OOH OOH") AS A, TBL_TEST.Hazard, TBL_TEST.Compliance

FROM TBL_TEST;

Query1
    AHazardCompliance
    Excellent305
    OOH OOH2015
    OOH OOH775
    OOH OOH7715

If i understand the criteria correctly then this is working.

K.

• Try reversing the statement

= IIF((Fields!Hazard.Value <19 AND Fields!Hazard.Value >76)

AND Fields!Complience.Value >11,"OOH OOH","Excellent" )

to see if that gives a different result.

Can't believe that its just throwing errors on the number 15 though. Are there other combinations that you've spotted which have caused the statement to throw incorrect results?

• I am truly grateful for all your help and now feel guilty that I have been trying to solve the wrong issue

The Compliance  field is a calculated field which adds the values of the previous four  Score Fields. This evaluates correct each time . 

I have finally figured out why  this IIF does not work and gives bizzare results.It is because the Result field is unable to read the value of the Compliance  field. Somehow it only evaluates the addition of first two numbers and not all four numbers .

Below are the expressions for each field

Complience

=Fields!SafetyScore.Value + Fields!StructuralScore.Value + Fields!ManagementScore.Value + Fields!EcoliScore.Value

Result

= IIF(Fields!Complience.Value <=76,"Excellent", "OOH OOH")

If I change the expression in the Result field to  

=Fields!Complience.Value

I get a value of

Fields!SafetyScore.Value + Fields!StructuralScore.Value

Anyone know why it does this? 

I have tried all combinations of brackets in the expression in the complience Field it still adds up correctly but the Result field returns just the value of the first two scores.

(I can be forgiven for assuming the problem was with the IIF can't I?)

Any Ideas on a work around?

• Not sure why it would be doing that but you could always try i) casting the data field to ensure it's the correct type [e.g. CInt(field) ]; or ii) possilby using a function (assuming a SQL source) like ISNULL() or COELESCE().  Using either (or both) of these could ensure you're not going to be trying to add strings to numbers and also that you're not getting nulls.  Not sure it will make a difference as I would have thought the VB under the covers would have done implicit conversions.

On a debuging front, have you tried removing parts of the compliance equation until it returns you more than just A + B.

Steve.

• What does the following expression return?

Fields!ManagementScore.Value + Fields!EcoliScore.Value

As stevefromoz says, remove parts of the eqn and check the evaluated result.

• As this is a report can the calculation not be done in the base query rather than in a control on the report and then the results field could be bound to the field in the query?

K

• try organizing it so you can use the SWITCH command so it won't be nested...

like Switch(condition1,value1,   condition2,value2...)

• Oh I am an idiot      

I was using both fields in the dataset & controls in the report.

Consequently one was using the field expression (which only added the first two scores ....ooooppps?) and another was using the expression in the control textbox.

I have now put all the calculated fields into the dataset and only used the controls in the report for the IIF expression.

Its all working beautifully now

Thanks a million for your help

Lizzy

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply